Via Pipe Dream Archives

After dropping two of three at VMI last weekend, the Binghamton baseball team is set to continue its road schedule this weekend in a four-game series against Delaware. While the Bearcats (2-8) have a losing record, Binghamton head coach Tim Sinicki made it clear on media day that challenging the Bearcats early was crucial to their success down the stretch.

“We need to challenge our guys,” Sinicki said. “We’ll try to face competition that will prepare us for the America East schedule.”

The Bearcats have opened the season by playing 10 consecutive road games and BU will play eight more games away from Vestal before competing in a home game. Binghamton won’t compete on campus until March 22, when they are set to face Bucknell.

This weekend is no different, as the Bearcats will hit the road to face Delaware. The Blue Hens (7-4) are a strong program, advancing to the CAA semifinals last season. Delaware and Binghamton have never faced each other.

Currently, sophomore center fielder CJ Krowiak leads the Bearcats with .372 batting average, 16 hits and 11 runs scored. Krowiak has also stolen three bases, tops on BU, without being caught.

Junior first baseman Brendan Skidmore was named the America East Player of the Week last week after delivering .417 batting average and two home runs in last weekend’s series at VMI. Skidmore currently leads the team with 20 total bases and has driven in nine runs, second on the Bearcats behind senior infielder Reed Gamache’s 11 RBIs.

Pitching is sure to be the story this weekend for BU, as not one starter on the roster has accumulated a win thus far in the season. The Bearcats announced on Thursday that they’d hand the ball to senior Rob Hardy (0-1) to pitch the opening game on Friday. Senior right-handed pitcher Mike Bunal (0-2) and junior right-handed pitcher Jake Cryts (0-1) will start games two and three in a Saturday doubleheader, while sophomore Jacob Wloczewski finishes the series out on the mound on Sunday.

First pitch between Delaware and Binghamton is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Friday from Bob Hannah Stadium in Newark, Delaware.