Michael Contegni/Pipe Dream Staff Photographer Junior goalkeeper Tanner Cosens has played every minute in goal for the Bearcats this season.

Following three losses on the road to open the 2016 season, the Binghamton men’s lacrosse team is set to open its home campaign against Delaware on Saturday. After out-performing the Blue Hens (2-5) on offense in 2015, 11-7, the Bearcats (0-3) are set to bring back only two scorers from that contest. Now, Binghamton will turn to its seasoned defense in hopes of handling Delaware and capturing its first win of the season.

“We’re not going to stop them one guy at a time,” BU head coach Scott Nelson said. “We got to play team defense. Slide quickly, get the ball across the ground so they don’t get any second chances and we got to clear the ball well.”

So far this season, Binghamton is clearing at a mark of .843 while picking up an average of 22.7 ground balls per game. In the cage, junior goalkeeper Tanner Cosens has averaged 10 saves per contest while accounting for all 180 net minutes for Binghamton. Matched up against a Blue Hen attack featuring six players with four or more goals on the year, BU will look to clamp down early and often in the backfield.

“We’ve got to be ready to stop their transition,” Nelson said. “They like to attack quickly on offense, so we’re going to have to hustle back on defense and be ready to play.”

On the offensive end, the Bearcats will look to exceed their most recent goal total of six against Hobart on Saturday. Despite only being out-shot, 105-98, by opponents on the year, Binghamton has been outscored, 33-18 through 12 quarters. Senior midfielder Zach Scaduto and redshirt sophomore attack Sean Gilroy, who have combined for 10 goals on the season, are set to lead Binghamton’s attack against Delaware. Sophomore attack Thomas McAndrew will also look to tally his fourth goal in four games on Saturday after being the only Bearcat besides Gilroy and Scaduto to register a score against Hobart.

Its matchup with Delaware will serve as BU’s final contest before it kicks off America East play against UMBC next week on Saturday. Opening the year with a scrimmage in Philadelphia followed by three straight games on the road, Binghamton will take the opportunity against Delaware to focus on getting its first home opener victory since 2013. Up against Delaware for the third consecutive season, Binghamton will look to push its all-time mark to 3-1 against the Blue Hens and start off 1-0 in Vestal.

“They’ve always been a great program down there and an aggressive program,” Nelson said. “So we’ve got to be ready to play great defense.”

Binghamton is set to face off against Delaware at 1 p.m. on Saturday from the Bearcats Sports Complex in Vestal, New York.