When the Binghamton University women’s basketball team faced off against four-time defending conference champion Albany (20-3, 11-0 America East) last season, notching an “L” into Binghamton’s record could be considered more than a safe bet. BU was defeated by 33 points and 22 points, respectively, in their two 2015 matchups with Albany.

This season, however, the fifth-placed Bearcats (10-14, 5-6 America East) have proven to be the only conference opponent, with the exception of second place Maine, that has actually challenged the Great Danes. In 11 America East games this year, the Great Danes have won by less than ten points just three times. Two of these instances have come against Binghamton, the most recent on Monday night in Albany, when the Great Danes went on a fourth-quarter offensive run to secure a 64-58 victory over the Bearcats.

“I’m really proud of our effort tonight,” BU head coach Linda Cimino said. “I thought we did a great job, offensively, attacking [the Great Danes’] zone.

The Binghamton offense came alive toward the end of the first quarter. After falling into a 12-6 deficit, the Bearcats drew contact and were perfect from the charity stripe to go on an 11-0 run, finishing the frame with a five-point advantage. Senior guard Kim Albrecht led the offensive charge with eight points in the first ten minutes, including two 3-pointers. She ended the game with a total of 21 points, her second-highest total this season.

“Kim [Albrecht] made some really good shots,” Cimino said. “She’s been really working all the time on her shot with pressure on her from deep range, so I’m really happy she’s seeing some success.”

Binghamton’s defense, the strongest aspect of its game this season, remained firm throughout the first half to give the Bearcats a 29-24 lead heading into the locker room. After the break, however, Albany’s potent offensive duo of senior forward Shereesha Richards and sophomore forward Tiana-Jo Carter broke through BU’s zone defense. Not even the imposing post presence of Binghamton sophomore forward Alyssa James, who is nationally ranked in blocks per game, was enough to halt the tandem, who combined for eighteen points in the second half.

“[The Great Danes] had the same game plan we had for them,” Cimino said. “They were attacking Alyssa [James] and we were attacking Tiana Jo [Carter], so I think that both of our game plans were to go right out and attack.”

Albany’s strategy of attacking James proved effective, as she was on the floor for a season-low 21 minutes of the contest due to foul trouble. Heading into Monday night’s matchup, James averaged 16 points per game but recorded just seven before fouling out with less than three minutes left in regulation.

The Great Danes, who have yet to drop a conference game this season, pieced together an 11-0 run to take the lead, 44-41, at the end of the third quarter. Junior guard Zakiya Saunders, who contributed 19 points to Albany’s effort, was responsible for 6 of these points.

Sophomore guard Imani Watkins, who scored a game-high 22 points, put BU on top, 51-50, for the last time with just over seven minutes remaining, attacking the paint and connecting on her free throws. With 2:15 remaining on the clock, Albrecht sunk her fourth 3-pointer of the contest to bring the Bearcats to within two, 58-56. From that point on, however, the Great Danes held on, netting four free throws in the final minute to secure the win.

Although there is certainly frustration associated with such a close loss, Cimino praised the Bearcats’ performance and is hopeful for future success against the Great Danes.

“We are not down, we’re excited,” Cimino said. “We’re upset that we lost this game, but we’re moving forward. I think we have a lot of confidence right now.”

Binghamton is set to return to action on Thursday night when it hosts fourth-place Hartford. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at the Events Center in Vestal, New York.