Photo Provided by BU Athletics Junior jumper Keishorea Armstrong earned first place finishes in the long jump and triple jump events at the Cornell Upstate Challenge on Saturday.

The men’s and women’s track and field teams were hard at work this winter break, racing in three meets over the recess.

For the first meet of the new year, the Bearcats traveled to Cornell for the Southern Tier Collegiate Open, boasting a host of top finishers in the non-team scoring event.

Among the men’s teams highlights were junior Jon Alkins, who won the 200-meter in 22.20. Junior Eric Holt won the men’s 3,000-meter (8:45.19) in a race that featured five Bearcats in the top six.

Off the track, senior Joe Miceli and junior Peter Fagan took first and second respectively in the pole vault. Miceli recorded a height of 16-4¾ while Fagan fell just short at 16-0¾.

On the women’s side, the highlights came off the track, with three first-place finishes in field events.

Sophomore Brooke Bonney won the weight throw, recording a season-best 54-8. Junior Sarah Haley won the pole vault (12-5½), while junior Keishorea Armstrong won the long jump with a distance of 12-5½.

After a week of rest, the Bearcats took to the track again at Penn State for the Nittany Lion Challenge, an event which didn’t feature team scoring.

Miceli captured the win again in the pole vault, this time clearing a height of 15-9¼, while Fagan finished sixth (14-9½).

Back on the track, senior Adam Mcle finished second in the 800-meter, running a time of 1:52.13.

Armstrong was the top finisher on the women’s side, placing third in the 60-meter with a time of 7.55. Also finishing near the top for the women were senior Tori Shaffer, who finished fourth in the high jump (5-7) and junior Ana Herbert who finished fifth in the 400-meter (59.60).

Finally, the Bearcats headed back to Cornell last weekend for the Upstate Challenge. That meet saw the men finish third and the women fourth, both out of eight competing squads.

The men’s middle distance squad earned a pair of second-place finishes with freshman Shamar Powell in the 800-meter (1:56.06) and Holt in the 1000-meter (2:28.40).

In the pole vault, Miceli got his third win in a row of the year, recording a height of 16-8, while teammate Fagan finished third (15-3).

Senior Pat Heikklia was the top thrower of the day for the Bearcats, finishing first in the shot put (53-5½) and third in the weight throw (51-8¼).

On the women’s side, junior Sarah Osaheni was the top finisher for the team on the track, running a time of 58.37 in the 400-meter, good enough for second place.

On the field, it was Armstrong who highlighted the team’s performance, finishing first in the long jump (19-10¾) and second in the triple jump (40-0¾).

The Bearcats are set to compete next at the National Open, hosted by Penn State. The first event is scheduled for Friday at noon.