In its final 14 contests last season, the Binghamton women’s basketball team recorded 14 straight losses. But in its second game of the regular season on Monday night, BU broke that streak against NJIT, 54-50, to win its first game since January 10.

“It feels really good to get the win,” Binghamton head coach Linda Cimino said. “We came in knowing that today was a day we could get this win and it was a remarkable win for us as a team. I’m really really pleased with our effort.”

The Bearcats and Highlanders traded possession for much of the first quarter, with BU coming out of the period with a slight lead, 12-11. This close play continued until Binghamton went on a 10-4 run to head into halftime with a 28-24 advantage.

Spearheading BU’s offense was sophomore forward Alyssa James, who scored a team-high 15 points and grabbed nine boards. James was integral to the Bearcats’ defensive strategy, which was to stifle NJIT’s star player, junior center Leah Horton, who averaged 10.1 points per game last season but was held to an 0-for-9 mark from the field.

“Alyssa [James] was unbelievable tonight defensively,” Cimino said. “We knew coming in that she was going to be a defensive presence with her ability to block shots, her ability to rebound the ball. She just clogs up the paint. [James] was by far the biggest difference in the game defensively.”

Sophomore guard Imani Watkins also contributed to Binghamton’s offensive game, recording 14 points and 11 rebounds to notch the first double-double of her collegiate career.

Binghamton pulled away from NJIT with just under eight minutes remaining in the first half, when it went on a 6-1 run after a technical foul was called on Horton. From that point on, the Bearcats did not relinquish their lead.

“We talked about [keeping up the intensity] a lot in the locker room during halftime before the coaches came– in-staying hungry, keeping up the pressure and being relentless,” Watkins said. “I think everybody wanted it so when we stepped on the floor, that was our main focus-to keep the lead. “

Key to the Bearcats’ success on Monday night was their ability to force 16 turnovers while allowing just nine. Last season, BU struggled mightily with ball control. This season, however, James’ presence has turned this trend around. Watkins identified her teammate as the main reason for Binghamton’s positive turnover margin.

“AJ,” she said. “When you take their best player [Horton] out of the game and you have to make everyone else step up. Sometimes teams can’t respond.”

The Highlanders kept pace with the Bearcats through much of the matchup due largely to their prowess from beyond the arc. NJIT drained seven 3-pointers through the contest for a 43.8 percentage from three. Junior guard Camerin Spahn recorded 14 points while junior guard Olivia Dudley led the Highlanders with 15 points, including five triples. Coach Cimino acknowledged BU’s struggles in defending against the 3-pointer.

“The only thing I would have liked to see us do better is to get out a little bit quicker and contest and close out on the three-point shots,” she said.

With 16 seconds left in regulation, Binghamton was up, 51-48, when freshman guard McKayla Hernandez landed a 3-pointer to secure BU’s victory.

“She doesn’t play like a freshman,” Cimino said of Hernandez. “She was really composed; she was playing with confidence. She hadn’t made a shot all game, but we still had her in and I told her that she still had the green light.””

BU is set to return to action on Wednesday against Bucknell. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at Sojka Pavilion in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.