Emily Earl/Assistant Photography Editor Pictured: Freshman guard Rebecca Carmody

As the Binghamton women’s basketball program continues its rebuilding period under second-year head coach Linda Cimino, freshman guard Rebecca Carmody could make an immediate impact after the loss of sophomore standout guard Jasmine Sina to a torn ACL in late September.

Cimino says that Carmody is set to play big minutes, and while Carmody states that she hasn’t had many opportunities to see Sina play, she knows that the show must go on.

“We’re definitely going to have a loss there, but we’re going to keep learning,” Carmody said. “There’s nothing we can do. We have to keep building.”

The 5-foot-8-inch native of Waymart, Pennsylvania, was a three-time All-Lackawanna League selection in high school. Location was a big factor in Carmody’s decision to attend Binghamton.

“It was close to home,” Carmody said. “Academically, [Binghamton] is a well-known school. The campus is nice and I felt that I’d do well here playing basketball.”

Carmody may be undersized, but rebounding will prove to be one of her biggest strengths. In fact, getting her feet off the ground is what Carmody is used to. Throughout high school, Carmody excelled in the long jump and triple jump for the Western Wayne outdoor track team, winning both events at the 2015 District 2 Class AA Championships. The four-year letter winner also played for the volleyball team and was named the Lackawanna League MVP during her senior season. Carmody averaged 15 points and eight rebounds in her senior year of high school and hopes to see that productivity translate to the collegiate level.

This was just the case last Friday night, when she finished the Bearcats’ exhibition game against East Stroudsburg with 11 points and nine rebounds.

“I’m thrilled with Rebecca’s progress so far,” Binghamton head coach Linda Cimino said. “She’s so versatile and athletic. She excels at getting to the rim. She can play up to four different positions for us and I really think she’s going to make an immediate impact in the backcourt.”

To Carmody, family comes first, and she was quick to point out the biggest influence on her basketball career.

“It’s definitely my twin sister Rachel,” Carmody said. “We’ve been playing together since we were five. She’s been by my side through everything and has helped to make me better. She really has had a big impact on me.”

Although Rachel will be not be playing with her this season, Rebecca will get to see her sister on the court, as Binghamton will take on Misericordia University — where Rachel Carmody is a forward — on January 4.

“It’s going to be weird,” Carmody said. “The only time we’ve ever played against each other was in practice. It will be a big day for my family so I’m really excited for it.”

Down the road, Carmody sees big things for the program. As for now, she’s taking it one game at a time.

“We’re going to go out every game and give it our best to win,” Carmody said. “Obviously winning comes first, but we want to just keep building the program.”