Photo Provided by BU Athletics Pictured: former BU women’s soccer coach Sarah McClellan

After eight seasons at the helm of the Binghamton women’s soccer program, BU head coach Sarah McClellan will not return as head coach for the 2016 season. BU director of athletics, Patrick Elliott, announced the decision on Monday. And while McClellan’s term with BU is not set to expire until December 2016, a national search is already underway for Binghamton’s next head coach.

“After careful consideration, I have decided to make a change in leadership, as we look to build our program toward future success,” Elliott said, according to a press release on bubearcats.com. “We want to thank Sarah for her 10 years with the women’s soccer program and her dedication to Binghamton University.”

Since taking over the team in 2008, McClellan propelled the Bearcats to five America East postseason appearances, including a berth in the conference championship game in 2009. BU’s most recent trip to the AE playoffs in 2014 ended with Binghamton falling to New Hampshire, 4-2, in penalty kicks.

This season, Binghamton struggled mightily. BU was victorious in its season opener against St. Bonaventure, but then went on to go winless for 13 straight matches, including dropping 11 in a row between August 30 and October 11. BU ended the year with a 3-12-2 record, collecting only seven points through eight conference contests. The Bearcats finished in last place of the conference standings.

Through her career at BU, McClellan boasted a 54-74-14 record.