Kaely Hankison/Contributing Photographer Junior forward Logan Roberts scored the game-winning goal in the 70th minute of BU’s victory over UNH on Wednesday.

Junior forward Logan Roberts’ goal in the 70th minute of Wednesday night’s game did two things for the Binghamton men’s soccer team. First, it gave the Bearcats a 2-1 road win over New Hampshire for the first time in over a decade. Second, and perhaps more significantly, it gave BU (7-5-1, 2-1 America East) a share of first place in the AE standings with UNH.

“The guys were terrific,” BU head coach Paul Marco said. “Great enthusiasm and great spirit. I thought we were very useful with the ball.”

After a scoreless 54 minutes to open play, the Bearcats broke through when freshman midfielder Harrison Weilbacher crossed a ball into the box. The ball was then headed into the Wildcat net by junior back Zach Galluzzo.

“It was a great goal off the set piece for us,” Marco said of Galluzzo’s effort.

America-East-leading New Hampshire (8-2-2, 2-1 AE), however, refused to be silenced, taking just five minutes to answer. Junior midfielder Chris Wingate volleyed a shot into the back of the goal to even the tally.

Binghamton’s defense was able to bear down from that point on and shut the Wildcats out for the rest of the game. Junior goalkeeper Robert Moewes made three saves in the game to stifle UNH’s offense.

“Before we scored our first goal, Robert made an unbelievable save,” Marco said. “We let a player get in and cross it into an open guy who smashed it … and Robert just made an unbelievable save.”

Marco was equally impressed by the play from the rest of his backfield.

“I thought our backs were terrific all night,” he said. “UNH has some really big strikers and I thought our guys did a really good job in the area and on the ground.”

After Roberts’ game-winning goal in the 70th minute, Binghamton was faced with the final 20 minutes of regulation — the period of play in which its defense has proven most vulnerable throughout the season. Prior to Wednesday night’s match, the last seven goals conceded by the Bearcats had come in the final 25 minutes of play. The back line, although challenged with a 12-7 shot disadvantage, held on.

After its first win in Durham since 2003, Binghamton is now in a four-way tie for first place in the current conference standings. Entering Wednesday’s contest, New Hampshire had been undefeated in America East play and had received votes in the National Soccer Coaches of America (NCCSA) poll.

“This is a team who is still trying to figure out who we can be at the end,” Marco said about his squad. “I like where we are headed. I like the attitude the guys are bringing and their effort is terrific.”

Despite being tied for the best record in the conference, the Bearcats know that their work has just begun.

“We are just trying to take care of the next game,” Marco said. “We are not in the playoffs yet but we are certainly trying to get there.”

Binghamton will look to stay in first place this weekend when it is scheduled to face off against AE foe Hartford. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Al-Marzook Field in West Hartford, Connecticut.