Franz Lino/Photography Editor BU junior forward Logan Roberts scored his first goal of the season in Saturday’s match against Vermont.

While the entire soccer season requires a tremendous level of intensity, games seem to gain extra fervor when America East play commences. Entering its conference opener against a surging Vermont team, Binghamton was hoping to snap its three-match winless streak and start off its conference campaign on a positive note. The Bearcats (6-4-1, 1-0 AE) didn’t disappoint, registering a 2-1 win behind a fantastic all-around team performance.

“I always take the approach that I want to win the next match,” BU head coach Paul Marco said. “That that’s the most important one. But obviously the conference is just that — it’s conference play. It’s the way to the postseason — it’s the only way to be guaranteed that you can get into the NCAA tournament — by winning the conference tournament.”

The Bearcats and Catamounts (5-4-1, 0-1 AE) spent much of the first half attempting to pass the ball into the middle of the field, with neither team finding much success. This in part was due to the windy conditions, which knocked most crosses off their intended paths.

It was BU who drew first blood, with junior forward Logan Roberts tallying his first goal of the season in the 17th minute. Senior midfielder Tucker Sandercock received the ball on the right flank before dispatching a low cross to Roberts. The striker’s touch took him beyond a Vermont defender, allowing him to chip the ball over onrushing junior goalkeeper Greg Walton.

“I think [Roberts has] been doing a great job, and the caveat to that is that I think he can do even better,” Marco said. “I’m thrilled for him, and I can’t wait to try and bring out more in him.”

Vermont created an opportunity to level the affair in the 26th minute, and likely would have if not for the heroic efforts of junior goalkeeper Robert Moewes. Vermont junior forward Bernard Yeboah received the ball with space directly in front of the goal, but Moewes’ diving save prevented what seemed like a surefire equalizer.

In the 32nd minute, Binghamton doubled its advantage. Following freshman midfielder Harrison Weilbacher’s corner, a Bearcat shot careened off the post and into the path of graduate student midfielder Pascal Trappe who tapped the ball into the back of the net for his third goal of the season.

The second half opened with a two-goal cushion in Binghamton’s favor, allowing the team to sit back and focus on defending its lead. While the Catamounts threw everything they had at the BU defense, the back line held its own, allowing Vermont few scoring chances.

Binghamton absorbed the mounting pressure for most of the final period, but they received a scare when Vermont cut the lead in half in the 86th minute. Vermont junior back Skyler Davis headed the ball across BU’s goal, allowing junior forward Brian Wright to bury the ball past Moewes.

Unfortunately for Vermont, it was too little too late. The Bearcats held on for the remaining three minutes, ending the match with a 2-1 victory.

“Three points to start conference play is terrific, especially against Vermont on the road,” Marco said. “I felt like we really earned the three points, and now we have a week to prepare for our next opponent.”

Binghamton is set to resume play against UMass Lowell on Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. at the Bearcats Sports Complex in Vestal, New York.