Emily Earl/Assistant Photography Editor The women’s soccer team allowed a season-high six goals in its America East opener at New Hampshire on Sunday.

The Binghamton women’s soccer team entered Sunday’s match against New Hampshire with hopes of snapping a seven-game losing streak to begin conference play against the reigning America East champions. The Bearcats (1-8-1, 0-1 AE), however, had another sluggish offensive performance in its trip to the Granite State.

UNH (3-5-3, 1-0) dominated the match from the start with an aggressive offensive attack. Senior forward Caroline Murray kicked off the scoring in the sixth minute with a goal off of a cross from senior midfielder Gabrielle Sloan. Six minutes later, it was UNH sophomore forward Brooke Murphy who notched a goal of her own via penalty kick to open up a 2-0 lead over the Bearcats.

Murphy continued the offensive onslaught in the 32nd when Murray sent a low cross through the box, which was deflected by Binghamton sophomore goalkeeper Katie Hatziyianis. But Murphy rebounded her own miss and snuck it past Hatziyianis to send UNH into the half with a commanding 3-0 lead.

“UNH has a couple really talented special players,” Binghamton head coach Sarah McClellan said. “They were able to cause a few breakdowns in that first 15 minute window. [It] makes it very difficult to chase the game from that kind of start.”

Binghamton spent most of the first half in search of some kind of offensive spark, but it was to no avail. The Bearcats managed only four shots during the first half, compared to New Hampshire’s 11.

“Going down early got our team a bit rattled,” McClellan said. “It puts a lot more pressure on the players on the ball to be effective. Our offense really needs to be supplemented by exceptional team help defensively, and I believe our team is going to make those adjustments this week.”

Much of BU’s troubles stemmed from its lingering inability to convert scoring opportunities. Binghamton had scored only one goal in its previous five games entering Sunday’s matchup with the Wildcats, and its offensive woes continued into the second half.

New Hampshire struck again early in the second 45 with a goal in the 51st minute from Sloan, who punched in a shot after a volley into the box from Murray. UNH poured on two more goals in the 69th and 70th minutes to cap a 6-0 shutout of the Bearcats, which marked Binghamton’s third straight scoreless game.

Binghamton’s offensive struggles stemmed from difficult shot selection. Though launching 10 shots for the game, BU only managed to get two on target. On the other side, UNH placed 14 of its 22 shots on goal, leading to its offensive success.

BU looks ahead to Thursday when it will conclude its seven-game road stretch with a game against conference rival Albany. McClellan believes the long stint away from home has served as a valuable learning experience for her young roster.

“Playing on the road presents plenty of challenges and opportunities to experience tough situations … the more we learn about ourselves and take positive action to improve, the better we will be,” she said.

The opening kick against the Great Danes is slated for Thursday at 7 p.m. at Bob Ford Field in Albany, New York.