File Photo Junior libero Bailey Walker is currently averaging an America East-leading 4.93 digs per set.

The Binghamton volleyball team opens up conference play on Friday when it hosts rival Albany. After months of offseason and tournament preparation, the Bearcats (3-11) will look to get revenge on the team that knocked them out of the America East tournament last season.

The Bearcats will call on the experience of junior libero Bailey Walker and sophomore setter Sarah Ngo against the Great Danes (5-7). Standouts in Binghamton’s preseason tournaments, Walker and Ngo have provided stability to a Bearcat squad that is still finding its identity early in the season.

“Sarah’s done a good job, she’s been a steady force for us,” BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama said. “Bailey provides leadership for the rest of the team. She does it with her play on the floor.”

Consistency will be key for Binghamton, as Kiriyama seeks to incorporate young players into the fold. While playing in preseason tournaments is good practice, there is an added pressure on new players when America East play starts and playoff contention is on the line.

“We’re looking for our freshmen to start stepping up,” Kiriyama said. “Once they actually experience conference play they will know what it is all about.”

If the freshmen learn anything about conference play at home from their teammates, Kiriyama can expect his youngsters to not miss a beat. Last year, the Bearcats were 7-5 in the America East, with a 4-2 conference mark at the West Gym. Two of those conference victories came against Albany a season ago.

However, it was Albany who got the last laugh, as the Great Danes defeated Binghamton, 3-1, in the first round of the America East tournament.

Kiriyama doesn’t expect Albany to lay down this season either.

“They’ve got a few key players back, I’m sure they’ll be ready for us,” he said. “They will be tough.”

While true redemption will not happen until the America East tournament starts in November, the Bearcats can take a huge step toward getting to the top of the conference with a strong performance. The same can be said about Albany, as it will try to win an away game versus Binghamton for the first time since November 2012.

But following a couple of tight losses in AE tournament play, Kiriyama knows that to succeed in the AE in postseason, BU has to get there first.

“Every point counts,” Kiriyama said.

First serve against Albany is set for 7 p.m. on Friday in the West Gym in Vestal, New York.