Emily Earl/Assistant Photography Editor Senior midfielder Katherine Corcoran tallied a team-high five shots over the weekend against Fairleigh Dickinson and Cornell.

The Binghamton women’s soccer team dropped two contests over the weekend, extending its losing streak to seven games. The Bearcats (1-7-1) fell in a pair of 1-0 shutout losses to Fairleigh Dickinson and Cornell on the road in BU’s final non-conference games of the season.

In the first game, BU fell behind FDU (4-4) just eight minutes in and couldn’t find a rhythm to equalize. While Binghamton was outshot, 27-10, a late chance to tie by BU was pushed off of the line and kept out.

“We had some success with attacking in Friday’s game,” BU head coach Sarah McClellan said. “I thought we were very close to tying them up.”

In the second game, a goal in the 62nd minute put Cornell (6-0-2) in front. Cornell shut out the Bearcats to remain undefeated on the season while outshooting BU, 16-4, for the game.

“I think that we have a younger team and we’re less connected in our layers,” McClellan said. “We are still looking for who is going to step up and be a dangerous goal scorer for us.”

Currently, that player is freshman forward Julianne Johnston, who is tied for the team lead with two goals on the season. As the Bearcats head into America East play, they are set to play a whole different game — and chances are available for everyone on the roster.

“I think it’s an opportunity for all of our kids to step up,” McClellan said. “For the freshmen, it’s a chance in conference play to become a major collegiate player. This is where you’re going to get noticed because it’s a stepping stone to take your game to the next level.”

In its nine-game non-conference schedule, the Bearcats have scored just four goals and have been shut out six times. Last season, BU scored 14 goals in its first nine games. In order to succeed this season, the Bearcats hope that they can return to that same offensive tempo as the season progresses, starting with the first conference game of the season on Sunday at New Hampshire.

“New Hampshire won the [America East] championship last year and they went into conference play only scoring four goals as well,” McClellan said. “I’m cautiously optimistic that our team isn’t going to have to score buckets of goals, but we are going to have to defend well and finish our chances.”

On their championship run in 2014, the Wildcats knocked BU out of the America East playoffs in a dramatic quarterfinal finish. However, the Bearcats will enter 2015 AE play with a clean slate and most importantly, a clean record.

“That’s how we have to go,” McClellan said. “When you look at the rest of the conference right now, we’re all 0-0-0. We only get one chance though, so we have to take advantage of that.”

Kickoff against New Hampshire is set for 2 p.m. on Sunday at Bremner Field in Durham, New Hampshire.