Raquel Panitz/Pipe Dream Photographer Junior forward Alex Varkatzas scored in the 67th minute of Tuesday night’s victory over Cornell.

After dropping a close match to Marist on Saturday night, the Binghamton men’s soccer team rebounded quickly with a 1-0 shutout over Cornell on Tuesday night. The victory is the Bearcats’ fourth in five games and marks their first win versus the Big Red (0-5-0) since 2009.

Despite the disparity in results, both games were highly competitive matchups in which the Bearcats frequently traded shots and possession with their opponents. The story of the weekend, however, was the Binghamton (4-2-0) defense, which allowed just one goal over the course of the two games and made seven total saves.

The Binghamton defense served as both the downfall and strong point of BU’s effort against Marist (2-3). After the Bearcats’ backline misplayed a ball in its own territory, Marist freshman forward Cameron Harr took advantage of the opportunity by scooting the ball past BU junior goalkeeper Robert Moewes in the 13th minute. But the Bearcats defense would not falter again. Binghamton held the Red Foxes to just two more shots in the half.

“I think that our defenders have been doing a very good job, and obviously they have Robert [Moewes] behind them, who’s done very well,” BU head coach Paul Marco said.

BU’s defensive prowess was on display again in the 72nd minute, when a handball in the box granted Marist a penalty kick. Looking to seal their victory, the Red Foxes were instead met with an incredible save by Moewes to keep the score at 1-0.

The Binghamton offense did its best to capitalize on the defense’s strong showing, outshooting Marist, 10-7, but failed to net an equalizer. BU’s most viable scoring chance came in the 85th minute when junior midfielder Connor Nealis’ volley was saved by the Marist goalkeeper to secure the 1-0 victory for the Red Foxes.

“Marist were up for the game,” Marco said. “It was a disappointing loss, but they played quite well that night.”

The Bearcats once again found themselves in the middle of a low-scoring defensive battle on Tuesday night in Ithaca. Through the first half, Binghamton and Cornell consistently frustrated each other’s offensive attempts, with neither side gaining a clear advantage.

BU’s formidable backline, which allowed just four shots on goal in the game, included junior backs Zach Galluzzo, Mike Kubik, Shervin Mohajeri and freshmen Kevin Flesch and Florian Orth.

The Bearcats finally broke the stalemate in the 67th minute of play when junior forward Alex Varkatzas headed in the eventual game-winner after a cross from Galluzzo.

“Alex played great tonight,” Marco said after the victory. “He scored a terrific goal for us. [It was] perhaps one of the better matches Alex has played.”

Cornell outshot Binghamton, 10-7 throughout the second half, but BU held off the Big Red to record its third shutout in six games played this season.

“It has been a very good team performance,” Marco said. “Each player today played very well, played their parts, and it was enjoyable to watch.”

Although the Bearcats had mixed results over the weekend, the team seems to be meshing, according to Marco.

“I think the team is starting to come together better every day,” he said. “Our young guys are showing that they’re great followers, but they can step up and lead a little bit, too.”

The Bearcats are set to return to action at home against Siena on Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Bearcats Sports Complex in Vestal, New York.