Photo Provided by BU Athletics Graduate student middle-distance runner Jesse Garn and junior jumper Keishorea Armstrong were honored at a recognition ceremony on Wednesday.

For the majority of last year, only nine Binghamton athletes had earned the title of NCAA All-American since BU’s transition to Division I in 2001.

That number changed to 11 in June at the 2015 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon. There, then-senior middle-distance runner Jesse Garn and then-sophomore jumper Keishorea Armstrong joined the All-American ranks, thanks to their performances in the 800-meter and long jump, respectively.

Garn and Armstrong were honored for their achievements with an awards ceremony on Wednesday afternoon in the Tau Club Room of the Events Center.

“On behalf of this department and this university, you’ve really made us proud with who you are and how you’ve represented Binghamton University literally on the national stage,” BU Director of Athletics Patrick Elliott said as he addressed the honorees. “This is one of the highest achievements at the highest level of intercollegiate sports.”

Garn was named a First-Team All-American — an honor bestowed to the top-eight finishers in each event — after running a fourth-best 1:49.74 in the final round of the 800-meter race.

“One of the biggest things for me is bringing Binghamton University and Binghamton Athletics to the national stage,” Garn said.

Armstrong, who was also the recipient of both the 2015 America East Outdoor Track Championship’s Most Outstanding Field Athlete and the Female Coaches’ award, is only the second female Bearcat in any sport to earn All-American honors.

Armstrong had only started to train for the long jump three months before her national debut, but set a program record of 20-6 1/2 feet. She brought home All-American honorable mention after placing 24th in the NCAA finals.

“Any opportunity to give back to the school is amazing, because without this school, I would not be anywhere near where I am today,” Armstrong said. “It was an honor to be able to represent the school, especially giving the female side a little bit of representation.”

Fortunately for the Bearcats, both All-Americans will have more opportunities to don green and white. Garn, now a graduate student at BU, has one more season of eligibility remaining in both indoor and outdoor track, while Keishorea has just begun her junior year.

BU President Harvey Stenger also addressed the crowd, making a prediction for the upcoming seasons.

“I will go on record by saying that both of these two will be national champions next year — Jesse in the 800 [meter] and Keishorea in the long jump,” Stenger said. “I always like to set the bar high with people at Binghamton University because I know, when challenged, they rise to that challenge.”