The Binghamton University volleyball team endured a rough start to its season at the Florida Atlantic Invitational over the weekend. The Bearcats (1-3) lost three matches in a row before winning their final game of the tournament to end on a high note.

On Friday, the Bearcats fell to Georgia Southern (2-2), 3-0, then were unable to capitalize on a 2-0 lead against Bethune-Cookman, eventually losing the intense match 3-2.

With the score at 14-13 in the last game, Bethune-Cookman secured the point and the match, narrowly squeezing by the Bearcats. BU turned a 9-6 deficit into a 10-9 advantage, only to see Bethune-Cookman (2-2) stabilize and take the match in the final moments. Sophomore setter Sarah Ngo shined as she tallied 55 assists, 27 digs, and three aces in the match, all of which were career highs.

In their matches against Florida Atlantic University and Stetson University on Saturday, the Bearcats looked to recover from the previous day’s losses.

In their first match of the day versus Florida Atlantic, the Bearcats dropped all three games to the host, 25-15, 25-15 and 25-18. The result saw Florida Atlantic (4-0) remain undefeated in the tournament, as Binghamton still sought its first victory.

The Bearcats didn’t have to search for long, however, as they recovered from a rough start to the weekend to take down Stetson, 3-2, in their final match of the tournament.

After Binghamton and Stetson traded wins in the first four sets, Binghamton dominated the fifth 15-7 to give the Bearcats the match. The Bearcats hit .400 with nine kills in the final set while holding Stetson (1-3) to just a .042 hitting percentage. Strong performances from sophomore middle hitter Kristella Morina, who finished with 10 kills, junior middle hitter Bianca Anderson, who blocked seven spike attempts and Ngo, who dished out 36 assists, led Binghamton to victory.

Ngo and junior libero Bailey Walker were named to the All-Tournament team, with Ngo notching 127 assists, 62 digs and five aces while Walker had 87 digs. For her efforts, Walker was named the America East Defensive Specialist of the Week.

The Bearcats are scheduled to return to action on Friday when they travel to Ohio for the Cleveland State Invitational. Binghamton is set to take on Cincinnati Friday at 4:30 p.m. and conclude the tournament Saturday when they are set take on Cleveland State at 12:30 p.m. and Central Michigan at 4:30 p.m. All games are scheduled to take place at the Woodling Gymnasium in Cleveland, Ohio.