For the first time in Binghamton’s America East history, the Bearcats hosted the women’s tennis AE championships. The three-day tournament was hosted at the tennis courts this weekend.

In their first round against fifth-seeded New Jersey Institute of Technology, the Bearcats fought through freezing temperatures and occasional snowfall to win the doubles point. BU dropped just one game from the first and third doubles position en route to the point victory.

Following the encouraging doubles victory was a dominating 6-0, 6-1 victory at sixth singles by junior Agatha Ambrozy, and an equally impressive 6-1, 6-0 triumph by junior Alexis Tashiro at third singles. A 6-0, 6-3 win by sophomore Annie DiMuro at fifth singles sealed the match for the Bearcats, 4-0.

The tables turned on Saturday for BU against Stony Brook, the top seed of the tournament.

From the first serve, the Bearcats were unable to get any momentum going their way against SBU, which has now taken four straight AE titles. The Seawolves quickly grabbed the doubles point after wins at the first and third position and did not look back.

In a similar fashion to how Binghamton quickly dealt with NJIT, Stony Brook quickly grabbed three singles points to end the match at 4-0. Ambrozy was the only Bearcat to win a set against the dominant Seawolves.

Looking forward, the Bearcats will lose only one player heading into next season. Katherine Medianik, who played in first singles and second doubles for BU, is the only member of the team set to graduate. After advancing to the conference semifinals four years in a row, Binghamton looks to continue its success onward.