Caroline Sardella/Contributing Photographer Senior attack Paul O’Donnell currently owns a team-high 11 goals scored this season.

After losing its first three games of the season, the Binghamton men’s lacrosse team has responded with two consecutive road victories.

Binghamton (2-3, 1-0 America East) will hope to draw upon that success when it faces its next opponent: No. 18 Towson. For its part, Towson (5-3) is set to enter the contest coming off a frustrating, 7-6 loss to Ohio State.

A low-scoring team, the Tigers currently only average 8.38 goals per game, ranking 55th out of 69 Division I programs in the category. But what the Tigers lack in offense, they make up for in defense. Towson allows just 7.25 goals per game, good for fifth in the country in scoring defense.

“They help each other well and they are really athletic,” BU head coach Scott Nelson said of the Towson defense. “Their goalie is pretty good and takes up a lot of room in the cage. He’s a big kid.”

In their last two victories, the Bearcats have improved some of the issues that led to a 0-3 start. Primarily, BU’s defense — which allowed 40 goals in its first three games — has upgraded its play. BU has allowed only 11 total goals since.

“We have been helping each other out more,” Nelson said. “They’re helping better and playing as a team and our short sticks have been doing great.”

The Bearcats have also struggled to close games this season. In its first three contests, Binghamton was outscored, 12-5, in the fourth quarter. That included a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Marist in its season opener. Like their defense, the Bearcats have managed to improve their fourth-quarter performances: They are now posting a 6-3 edge in that category over the last two games.

To compare, the Bearcats and Tigers have played two mutual opponents this season. The Tigers defeated Hobart, 9-6, while BU fell, 11-10, to the Statesmen on Feb. 28. Towson also faced America East-member UMBC, which Binghamton defeated, 13-4, in its last contest. The Tigers secured a victory of their own over the Retrievers, 11-7.

Binghamton’s offense has been its most consistent component this season. BU ranks 28th nationally in scoring offense, posting a 10.6 goals per game average. In particular, senior attack Paul O’Donnell has been on a tear lately, tallying eight goals in BU’s last two games. He ranks second on the team in points with 15, while senior attack Tucker Nelson paces the team with 21 — including 14 assists.

“We are very unselfish offensively, it is something we are very good at,” Tucker said. “We are going to have to make the extra pass to get a good shot.”

But BU’s powerful offense is sure to face a challenge against the stingy Towson defense.

“They could be the best defense we’ve seen all year,” Tucker said. “They are disciplined and conservative. We are going to have to get them to move a lot and make the extra pass.”

First face-off against Towson is set for 1 p.m. Saturday at the Bearcats Sports Complex in Vestal, New York.