Caroline Sardella/Contributing Photographer Freshman guard Imani Watkins had 13 points, four assists and six steals in BU’s 70-56 loss to first-place Maine.

The Binghamton women’s basketball team dropped its 11th consecutive game on Saturday, this time against Maine. The Bearcats (4-23, 2-12 America East) headed into halftime trailing the Black Bears (21-6, 13-1 AE), 33-19, but showcased their intensity and competitive nature throughout, falling, 70-56.

“I’m proud of the way our team competed and fought back in the second half,” Binghamton head coach Linda Cimino said. “We played them even in the second half. We just have to put two halves together and if we do that, we’ll find success.”

The Black Bears, led by junior forward Liz Wood’s six early points, jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the opening five minutes of play. Binghamton responded with a 7-3 run of its own in the next three minutes, effectively cutting the lead to 13-7. But Maine wouldn’t take long to respond. Wood and junior guard Lauren Bodine combined for 12 points in the remainder of the half to increase the margin to 33-19. BU shot just 26 percent in the half compared to the Black Bears 52 percent clip.

Maine came out of the break on fire, pushing its lead to 55-30 in the first 10 minutes of the half. But behind the trio of freshman guards Imani Watkins and Jasmine Sina and senior forward Sherae Swinson, BU increased its intensity on defense and its efficiency on offense. The Bearcats shaved 11 points off of their deficit in the final 10 minutes of play, before eventually dropping the game, 70-56.

Noticeably absent from the second half for BU was junior guard Kim Albrecht. Albrecht, who currently averages 11 points per game, left the court early in the first after sustaining an injury during play and did not return.

Swinson recorded her eighth career double-double in the game, finishing with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Watkins added 13 points and six steals, while Sina finished with 18 points and knocked down five 3-pointers.

Though the Bearcats’ skid has now reached 11, the team won’t allow that fact to affect the way they play.

“I’ve never heard my team even mention a losing streak or a record,” Cimino said. “We go game into game and that’s the best thing about my team. They are still motivated every single game. They are hungry every single game. They have nothing to lose. It’s not about records or streaks. It’s about playing as hard as they can and competing in every game. “

“We’re basketball players,” Watkins added. “Whether you win or lose, we’re basketball players and if you’re a basketball player, you’re going to play basketball 100 percent every time you step on the floor.”

The Bearcats are set to return to action Thursday when they take on Stony Brook in their regular-season home finale. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Events Center.