Spring training 2015 is upon us and once again Yankees infielder Alex Rodriguez finds himself in the headlines. Rodriguez is about to return after missing all of the 2014 season due to a suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs.

There is no room for steroids in the MLB. Steroids make their users bigger, faster and stronger, widening the performance level between users and non-users. The reputation of the MLB was damaged by those who used steroids. Rodriguez has ruined his own legacy by making the choice to use over and over again and deserves to have his career scrutinized because of his decisions. However, Rodriguez has been treated unfairly by both the Yankees and their fans.

When the Yankees acquired Rodriguez prior to the 2004 season, they expected to insert one of the most potent bats in baseball history into the middle of their lineup. For the most part, Rodriguez has delivered on that promise. In his 10 seasons as a Yankee, Rodriguez has played in the All-Star game seven times, batted .291, belted 309 home runs and driven in over 900 runs. He has posted seven seasons of over 100 RBI, has hit 30 or more long-balls seven times and earned the AL MVP in 2005 and 2007. He also batted .365, hit six home runs and drove in 18 runs during the 2009 postseason, which culminated in a Bombers World Series victory.

Despite putting up incredible numbers while a part of their team, Rodriguez and Yankees management have consistently been in a state of tension throughout his time in pinstripes. The Yankees even attempted to void Rodriguez’s contract in 2013 over steroid usage. Ask Yankees fans how they feel about Rodriguez, and most of them will have nothing positive to say.

Contrast this reaction to the one received by former Yankee pitcher Andy Pettitte. Pettitte was a star in his own right for the Bombers. He compiled 219 victories over 15 seasons with the Yankees while recording an earned run average of 3.94. Pettitte was a five-time champion on loaded Bombers teams and on Tuesday, the Yankees announced that he will have his number — 46 — retired by the team. No other Yankee player will wear that number again. He is revered by Yankees fans, a reminder of the winningest decade any team has ever seen. However, just like Rodriguez, Pettitte is an admitted user of performance-enhancing drugs during different portions of his career.

Both men had stellar careers. Both were cheaters. One is viewed as a hero, about to become an immortal for the winningest franchise in American sports history. The other is ostracized, hated by his own fan base.

How does that make sense? Either both should be admired for their stellar accomplishments as baseball players, or both should be shunned for cheating the game. Honoring one and disparaging the other is illogical.