With all the uncertainty and shattered expectations that surrounded the Binghamton men’s basketball team this season, the following news isn’t all that shocking: Former star Jordan Reed is still at Binghamton University.

According to multiple sources close to the program, Reed will not be returning to the team, however. The junior out of Ambler, Pennsylvania is registered for classes and finishing the academic year as a Bearcat, but if he’s in the Events Center, he’ll be on the bleachers, not the floor.

While Reed was reported to have transferred to Tennessee State University, TSU could not confirm his enrollment and stated that he wasn’t registered for classes, in an email sent to Pipe Dream on Jan. 23.

That was fishy, but things made sense when Reed turned up on the Vestal campus for the start of Binghamton’s spring semester. He can’t be in Tennessee if he’s in Binghamton, after all.

Reasons for Reed’s return to the University are unclear. Either something went awry with the Tigers, or the move is strategic. If Reed has a sufficient number of credits to graduate in May, then he could play at another program immediately as a graduate-student transfer. He could then apply for a waiver from the National Collegiate Athletic Association to gain an extra year of eligibility under the argument that he left after just five games due to hardship. And in the Transfer U days of college hoops, that tactic is gaining traction.

If he doesn’t graduate, however, then Reed’s eligibility at another Division I program will be postponed to a year after he begins taking classes at his new university.

Regardless, Reed — a 6-foot-4, incredibly athletic guard — will be looking to make an immediate impact wherever he goes. With only one, or at most two, years left to play, there’d be no sense in transferring to a bigger program with a full arsenal. TSU was an ideal program for that reason, but we’ll have to wait to find out where Reed ends up.