After a trying non-conference schedule that featured matchups with Notre Dame, Providence, and University at Buffalo, the Binghamton men’s basketball team was supposed to be ready to face America East opponents in January. All those high-caliber programs were supposed to season one of the youngest squads in the nation so the Bearcats would rack up wins when they counted.

But after a turbulent start to the season that saw former star Jordan Reed transfer and the Bearcats accumulate a 1-14 record heading into conference play, what was supposed to happen did not.

The Bearcats (1-15, 0-1 AE) suffered their 13th straight loss, 50-40, to UMass Lowell at the Costello Athletic Center on Friday night. Though they led by as many as 10 points and maintained an advantage through most of the game, the Bearcats’ late-game turnovers coupled with newfound offensive efficacy from the River Hawks (7-6, 1-0 AE) cost Binghamton its lead and its conference opener.

Binghamton got out to a hot start through a pressing defense that forced nine River Hawk turnovers in the first eight minutes. The Bearcats converted seven points off those turnovers and jumped out to a 10-0 lead in that time. Freshman forward Romello Walker catalyzed the Bearcats with a quick steal and layup before classmate Willie Rodriguez drained a 3-pointer on the subsequent possession to put the Bearcats ahead, 6-0, with 17:46 left on the clock.

The River Hawks wouldn’t drain a bucket until eight minutes in. Redshirt freshman guard Jahad Thomas disrupted his team’s 0-of-6 shooting by converting a layup with 12:00 remaining in the half, putting his team on the board, 10-2.

Binghamton wasn’t actually much better offensively. Both teams shot a bit south of 30 percent, and both teams’ numbers dipped after two free throws from sophomore guard Karon Waller: neither could hit a shot over the next three minutes.

That lapse gave the River Hawks some room, and they wouldn’t stagger for much longer. A 6-0 UMass run cut Binghamton’s lead to four, 12-8, with 7:46 remaining in the half. In the dwindling moments before halftime, two 3-pointers from freshman forward Brad Schaub tied the score at 20 with 1:55 to go. Binghamton requited with a trey of its own from freshman center Dusan Perovic, and the Bearcats stalled the end of the half to enter the locker rooms retaining their diminished lead, 23-20.

Though Walker opened the second half in much the same style – stealing possession and charging down court for an electrifying dunk to bring up the Bearcats, 25-20 – late-game miscues turned a new leaf for the hosts.

The River Hawks initially jumped ahead on the back of senior guard Chad Holley. After an equalizing 3-pointer from freshman guard Lance Crawford, Holley sunk two from the charity stripe, turned a steal into a layup and drained a trey for seven straight points. The 10-0 run accorded UMass Lowell its first lead with 8:11 remaining, 38-31.

Walker slammed in his second dunk of the half and followed it up with a jumper to make it a one-possession game, 38-35, but UMass pulled away again. The River Hawks were shooting much more effectively in the second half, converting 10 of 20 shot attempts while Binghamton only managed to hit 5 of 17 attempts.

The Bearcats pulled in close again with 3:42 left, as freshman guard Justin McFadden sunk two free throws to make it a two-point game, 40-38. But Binghamton committed turnovers on the next four possessions to seal its fate, and UMass pulled away with the 50-40 win.

Walker was the only Bearcat to make it to double figures in scoring, posting a career-high 14 points and shooting 46.2 percent from the field. Perovic followed up with nine points. Waller led his team with seven rebounds.

Thomas led all players with 15 points and eight rebounds. Holley and Crawford each added nine points, with Crawford hitting a perfect 4 for 4, including one from distance.

Next up for the Bearcats is a road match against Hartford on Jan. 7. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at Chase Arena in West Hartford, Connecticut.