Michael Contegni/Pipe Dream Staff Photographer Freshman forward Dusan Perovic averaged 25 points through two contests heading into Monday, including a program-high 34 over Boston University on Wednesday.

After the week the Binghamton men’s basketball team has had, freshman forward Dusan Perovic’s America East Rookie of the Week honors are a welcome ray of sunshine.

Perovic, named for the distinction by the conference on Monday, comes off a prolific scoring week in which he averaged 25 points over two contests. He broke the program’s Division I record for points scored in a contest, pouring in 34 over Boston University in a 77-65 loss last Wednesday. Twenty-nine of those points came in the second half; 27 of them were netted in just over 13 minutes.

Through that contest, the 6-foot-9 sharpshooter out of Montenegro hit 11 of 18 shots from the field, including 6 of 8 from the perimeter. That contributed to his current league-leading 61.5 percent 3-point shooting clip.

Perovic also led Binghamton in scoring in the team’s 79-70 loss to University of Pennsylvania on Saturday. He contributed 16 points in 25 minutes, despite battling foul trouble that sent him to the bench while he was in the midst of some hot shooting stretches.

Perovic has led the Bearcats in scoring four times this season, which leads the team. He is averaging 13.2 points in 23.3 minutes per contest so far this season.

The weekly award is the first bestowed on one of Binghamton’s rookies in the class of 2015. It is also the first the program has garnered all season.