Despite holding as large as an 11-point second-half lead over Navy, the Binghamton men’s basketball team found its game come down to the wire at Mohegan Sun Arena on Sunday evening. With five seconds left in a one-possession game, the Bearcats’ attempt at a 3-point game-winner hit the rim. BU (1-4) then fell, 70-68, in its fourth and final Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament contest.

For those who watched the Bearcats surge against Providence and Manhattan in the past week, the squandered loss doesn’t come as much of a surprise.

So far in the season, BU has endured through hot streaks and scoreless droughts in its games. Against Providence (5-0) on Monday, the Bearcats closed out the first half shooting 11 of 16 from the floor. Against Manhattan (1-2) on Saturday, they set out on two 8-0 runs to cut back the Jaspers’ lead from 20 to 10. They lost each of those games by 15 points or more.

Sunday’s game against Navy wasn’t much different. BU came out hot in the second half. In the first seven minutes, the Bearcats’ shots were simply falling in. They shot 80 percent from beyond the arc, 70 percent from the field. Behind two treys from sophomore guard Yosef Yacob and one apiece from freshman guard Romello Walker and sophomore forward Nick Madray, BU jumped up to a 47-40 lead with 15:32 left in the game.

Four points from freshman forward Willie Rodriguez and two sunken free throws from freshman guard Justin McFadden later, and BU’s lead was up to 11 with 13:19 left in regulation.

The Bearcats were not only shooting well but defending well, using BU head coach Tommy Dempsey’s promised man-to-man press to apply consistent pressure to the back court.

But Navy head coach Ed DeChellis was effective with his time outs. Calling one after Yacob’s trey gave the Bearcats a 53-42 lead, the Midshipmen retaliated, instantly converting a layup. They continued on to force a turnover and throw Binghamton off its rhythm.

While the Midshipmen converted four of their next six field goal attempts, BU went one for five. That Navy run, cumulating with a 3-pointer from sophomore guard Zach Fong, allowed the Midshipmen to tie the score at 62 with 4:39 remaining in regulation.

Navy senior guard Brandon Venturini then put his team on top, hitting a deep three and drawing a foul for a five-point play. Navy sailed ahead, 67-62, and didn’t look back.

Behind a red-hot Venturini, who finished with a game-high 26 points on 4-of-6 perimeter shooting, the Midshipmen survived two sunken treys from Walker and freshman forward Dusan Perovic. They took their first win of the season, 70-68.

The Bearcats finished out the night converting just two of their last nine field goal attempts.

For BU, Rodriguez proved the team’s greatest asset for the second consecutive night. Averaging 19.0 points per game over the last two contests, the 6-foot-6 versatile big led the team in scoring, rebounding and assists tonight, contributing 15 points, seven boards and six dimes. He shot 50 percent from the floor.

Perovic and Yacob chipped in 12 points each, with Perovic shooting a perfect 3 for 3 from beyond the arc. Madray finished with 10 points and four rebounds.

Next up for BU is a Tuesday matchup against Army. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Christl Arena in West Point.