With just under 15 minutes to go in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season, 16th-seeded Albany threatened the impossible against first-seeded Florida, pressing a 39-39 tie.

After edging out Mount St. Mary’s, 71-64, in a last-team-in situation, Albany looked to avenge its 2013 Tournament loss to Duke in taking on SEC Champion Florida. That Cinderella story wasn’t to be: After a late run by the Gators, the Great Danes again failed to upset. They dropped the game, 67-55.

A chance to advance wasn’t all Albany would lose when the clock hit zero in March. Starting guard DJ Evans, center and defensive anchor John Puk and forward Gary Johnson were three of Albany’s five graduating seniors, giving the Great Danes their largest freshman class in five years.

Yet, despite its losses, Albany returns two captains from the 2013-14 season in junior guard Peter Hooley and senior forward Sam Rowley. With Hooley averaging 15.5 points in 35.1 minutes per game last season and Rowley averaging 11.1 in 29.2, the Aussie co-captains bring more than enough court experience to lead by example this season. It will be their vocal leadership skills that are put to the test with this year’s group. Skills that, according to head coach Will Brown, are not quite natural in either one’s personality.

“It’s a new season,” Brown said. “We need to create a new identity because it’s a new team. We need a voice from within that’s not coach Brown. A voice in the locker room, a voice of the players. It’s nice when you have a player or two that can lead a team on and off the floor and I think [Hooley and Rowley] have the capability to do it, they just need to do it on a consistent basis.”

That vocal presence will be especially crucial in Albany’s early non-conference schedule. The Great Danes open their season with eight of their first 12 away from home. Struggling on the road in 2013, dropping all but four of its first nine away matchups, Albany’s ability to gain momentum for America East competition will hinge on its level of road play early.

“We weren’t consistent,” Brown said. “I’m hoping that this non-conference schedule helps us develop some road toughness and gets us ready for conference play on those cold nights when we’re traveling in January and February.”

The Great Danes will bring no shortage of young talent this season. Among the highlights of the 2014 recruiting class are freshman guard Wheeler Baker, a 6-foot-2 finalist for Minnesota’s Mr. Basketball award, and transfer guard Tre Green, who played alongside Jabari Parker at Simeon Career Academy in Chicago.

But Albany’s biggest offseason addition comes by way of Richard Peters. Peters, a 6-foot-11, 275-pound center, joins the team after two years at Tallahassee Community College and an original commitment to Washington State.

For now, Brown said, the 21-year-old fresh off of a hip replacement “has a chance.”

“It’s a day-to-day approach for Richard,” Brown said. “He’s big, he’s got a nice touch, he’s just got to get used to the rigors of the grind of the Division I level.”

While these new additions adjust, Brown will look to returning sophomore forwards Dallas Ennema and Mike Rowley to “take the next step” this winter after a successful offseason. Mike, along with his brother Sam, hails from Australia — apparently basketball’s latest hotbed. With one-third of Albany’s squad coming from outside the U.S., Brown hopes that this international experience will prove advantageous come tip-off.

“The one thing I’ve learned about international kids is they’re very hungry and grateful for the opportunity,” Brown said. “[Players from Australia are] very well coached, really know how to play and they play very hard.”

But back stateside, Brown is keeping his expectations realistic for his squad.

“It’s a new year and it’s a long year,” Brown said. “I like my new guys, but I’m not going to put unrealistic expectations or pressure on them.”

Take that cautiously. For a two-consecutive America East tournament championship team, “realistic” is still a high standard.

“When it’s all said and done, we’ll be in the mix,” Brown said.