Emily Earl/Contributing Photographer Sophomore middle hitter Bianca Anderson (right) racked up 11 kills in the Bearcats’ last contest.

The Binghamton volleyball team is set to continue its six-game homestand this weekend, taking on UMBC for its homecoming match at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The Bearcats (5-15, 3-2 America East) played 19 consecutive matches on the road before returning to the West Gym last Friday.

“It is nice to be home,” BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama said. “We know that these games are important … We are gearing up, taking one game at a time here.”

Binghamton heads into its contest with UMBC (8-9, 2-2 AE) on a hot streak. After dropping 14 of their first 15 matches, which included a 0-7 start, the Bearcats have rebounded, winning four of their last six. BU has seen an improved level of play in all aspects of the game.

“I think this team has worked hard and they have improved tremendously since the start of the season,” Kiriyama said. “I have seen the ball handling improve quite a bit, especially on serve-receive. I think our middle blockers have improved quite a bit. Really, just some of the small things they do on the court.”

Sophomore middle hitter Bianca Anderson has amped up her performance in the last five games, all of which were conference match-ups. She has accumulated 46 kills — good for third on the team — and put up an 11-kill performance in BU’s victory over Stony Brook on Friday.

“[Anderson] has continued to develop,” Kiriyama said. “She has a ways to go, but she is one of those who has developed quite a bit since the beginning of the season. It does open up a lot of different possibilities for us on offense. [She] is just another hitter our setter, [senior] Amanda [Dettmann], can rely on.”

The Retrievers, who are led by junior outside hitter Sherelle Walker — who currently ranks third in the conference with a .296 hitting percentage — and redshirt junior middle hitter Krystal Mlemchukwu — the team leader in kills with 153 — could serve BU difficulties due to their athleticism.

“UMBC has always been one of those opponents that it is a tough match all the time,” Kiriyama said. “They are a strong physical team. They have some good athletes on their team. We expect their offense to be a tough one to stop.”

BU had a strong showing in its last conference contest against Stony Brook, finishing with a .162 hitting percentage, 73 digs and 14.5 team blocks. If the team can draw upon its experiences last week, it should have what it takes to extend its win streak.

“We are going to have to block well against them, going to have to dig well, another effort like we had against Stony Brook,” Kiriyama said. “They are a fairly scrappy team. I think they dig well themselves. They are always a tough team and we are trying to prepare as best we can for them.”

First serve against UMBC is set for 1 p.m. Sunday.