After finishing in first place at the Hiawatha Invitational it hosted last weekend, the Binghamton golf team took home an eighth-place finish at the Big 5 Invitational hosted by Temple University this weekend. BU dropped two places between Saturday and Sunday, posting a team score of 309(+29) in round two for a 607(+47) final score. The host team, Temple, finished in first place out of the 14 teams participating in the two-day tournament, shooting a total of 572.

Leading the Bearcats on the scoreboard was junior Jesse Perkins, who finished in a six-way tie for 13th, shooting 74(+4) both on Saturday and Sunday for a 148-stroke tournament performance. Senior Josh Holling was the team’s second-best shooter of the weekend, finishing in a tie for 25th after recording 76(+6) strokes each day. He ultimately finished with 152 strokes. Rounding out the Bearcats’ five, sophomore Sameer Kalia took home a tie for 32nd after shooting 153(+13) and senior Jack Sedgewick and sophomore Kyle Wambold stayed close behind, posting scores of 155 and 157, respectively.

Temple’s Brandon Matthews earned first place on the individual level, shooting 69(-1) in both rounds for a final score of 138(-2). University of Rhode Island’s Joseph Leavitt contributed the best individual round, following up on a 75(+5) shooting performance in the first round with a tournament-best 66(-4) in the second. His turnaround was enough to secure him second overall, jumping up 21 spots between the two rounds.

Next up for the Bearcats is a weekend at Lehigh, where the teams will participate in the Lehigh University Invitational. The two-day tournament is scheduled to take place this weekend.