Tycho McManus/Assistant Photo Editor Senior defender Derrick Ladeairous was credited with an assist and was a dominant offensive force in the team’s 1-0 victory over Hartford last week.

Having won its first match in seven games last week, the Binghamton men’s soccer team aims to maintain its high at home this Saturday against New Hampshire.

BU (3-8-0, 1-0-0 America East) defeated Hartford, 1-0, last weekend, riding senior forward Steven Celeste’s 12th-minute goal to victory. The team’s leading shot taker finished a cross from senior back Derrick Ladeairous, who sent the ball in front of the box via a pass initiated by freshman forward Ben Ovetsky.

“Building off of a 1-0 victory simply means we have to come back to the training field and improve everyday, which I think we have been doing,” BU head coach Paul Marco said.

Through the win, the Bearcats were finally able to break through on the score sheet. Each of their prior six games resulted in a one- or two-goal shutout with BU on the wrong end of them all.

“[In] the match last Saturday, I think we were a bit lucky at times and we were pretty good at times,” Marco said. “I’d like us to be pretty good a little more of the time and still be lucky.”

UNH (4-5-1, 0-1-0 AE) enters the weekend coming off a tough 1-0 loss at Stony Brook, which marks the fifth time the team has been shut out this season. While the Wildcats have only scored seven goals in 2014, they ride a relatively hot streak, having gone 2-1-1 in their last four games. Through that duration, they held a 6-3 advantage in goals scored.

“They’re a pretty combative team — they’re pretty physical,” Marco said. “I think our guys will have to match [that physicality] and effort in the game,” Marco added.

Before defeating the Hawks, the Bearcats had struggled to score goals. Though BU has also recorded seven goals this season, six of those were shot in the first two weeks of the season.

Both teams rely on steady goalkeeping to anchor their stout defenses. New Hampshire senior keeper Travis Worra boasts a goals against average of 1.21 — which currently ranks third in the conference — and a .750 save percentage — ranking sixth. Conversely, Binghamton sophomore keeper Robert Moewes holds a 1.29 GAA, good for sixth in the AE, and a .791 save percentage.

Given the stingy nature of each team’s defense, the game might come down to which offense can break through first. On that count, the Bearcats are 3-1 when scoring first this season, while the Wildcats are 4-0-1 given that advantage.

Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. Saturday at the Bearcats Sports Complex.