Franz Lino/Photo Editor Senior defender Connie Gormley led BU’s defensive effort in its last-second loss at Hartford on Thursday.

89 minutes and 58 seconds into the Binghamton women’s soccer team’s matchup against America East-leader Hartford, the two squads looked ready for an overtime period.

But Hartford’s senior midfielder Chanel Johnson – the current conference leader in goals and points – had other plans. Her 11th goal of the season pushed the Hawks (7-2-3, 3-0 America East) ahead of the Bearcats (5-7-1, 1-1-1 AE), 1-0, handing BU its first conference loss of 2014.

“They’re a really good team,” McClellan said. “We might have been a little bit caught with the [final] countdown and their players just made an extra effort,” she added.

From the kickoff, Binghamton’s defense kept the match at a stalemate. Senior goalkeeper Gaby Gold finished the first half with three saves, silencing an offense boasting some of the top offensive players in the conference. With an advantage in shots, 9-5, and corner kicks, 5-2, BU’s offense wielded ample opportunities against a Hawks defense that has allowed just one goal through conference competition this season.

“We did a pretty good job shutting them down,” McClellan said. “It was a really good fight by our team, especially in that first half. We had really dangerous corner kicks.”

The second 45 proved to be more of the same on the scoreboard, with freshman keeper Katie Hatziyianis stepping in for Gold in net. Outshooting the Bearcats, 5-2, in the second half, Hartford gave the rookie a challenge as she prevented three goals of her own, including a diving save off of a Hawks free kick.

BU’s offense struggled to find opportunities in the final period. The Bearcats generated only one corner kick opportunity in that half, compared to their five chances in the first. But the last play of the half would be a sour one for the Bearcats on both sides, as Johnson, the reigning America East Striker of the Year, rolled the ball past Hatziyianis to secure the victory for Hartford.

“It turned out to be a good extra effort that made the difference in the game,” McClellan said. “I think our players gave a lot of effort throughout the game and played toe-to-toe with them.”

Now bearing a win, a loss and a tie on their conference record, the Bearcats will head to Stony Brook this Sunday. Though the Seawolves (3-8-1, 0-2-1 AE) currently rank last in conference standings, the Bearcats can’t discount the team that shut them out at the end of last season and that commands a 3-1 record on its home field. But having kept it close with the AE’s No. 1 team – Hartford – the Bearcats hope that Thursday’s game equipped them with the tools they need to succeed on Long Island.

“Our speed of play needs to be quality, our defending really has to be organized and that’s what you have to do against these quality teams in the conference. And Stony Brook is one of those quality teams that we have to play well against,” McClellan said. “[Thursday’s] was a good game for us to get under our belts. It was a good battle. We’re not happy with the result, but we understand that we have to move forward to the next game.”

Binghamton is set to face the Seawolves on Sunday. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook.