Franz Lino/Photo Editor Junior forward Stephani Church sent a shot off the crossbar in Binghamton’s scoreless tie with Maine on Sunday.

For the second consecutive contest, the Binghamton women’s soccer team failed to find the back of the net through regulation into overtime. Though the Bearcats (4-6-1, 0-0-1 America East) created numerous opportunities before the goal, they were unable to deliver and settled for a double-overtime tie against the Black Bears (2-6-1, 0-0-1 AE) in what was both teams’ conference opener.

The Bearcats set the tone early, spending much of the first half in the attacking third. They pounded Maine with attacks, crosses and shots while preventing their visitors from spending a considerable amount of time on the offensive.

“I thought that it was a great battle,” BU head coach Sarah McClellan said. “We were a little unlucky to not come out on top, but at least we got the point.”

Its triumph didn’t solidify in the game’s stats, however, as BU struggled to break through offensively. The team misplayed passes and was plagued by calls for offsides.

The Bearcats’ first serious opportunity came in the 20th minute, when junior forward Stephani Church broke through the Black Bear back line and forced a one-on-one with sophomore keeper Claudia Dube-Trempe. Church beat the keeper but shot high, hitting the crossbar. Binghamton outshot Maine in the period, 5-1, but the two teams headed to the locker room tied.

“We felt like we needed to be tighter defensively and keeping the ball a little bit longer,” McClellan said. “Our midfielders were working too hard defensively because we kept turning it over. We talked about keeping the ball better.”

Binghamton came out stronger in the second half. BU’s defense, led by senior back Connie Gormley and junior midfielder Katherine Corcoran, trapped the Black Bears, snuffing out the Black Bears every time they touched the ball. Maine attempted only two shots throughout the period, neither of which proved insuperable for freshman goalkeeper Katie Hatziyianis.

“I thought our back line really stayed organized,” McClellan said. “Really nothing dangerous against our back line which is super positive for us to take away.”

While the Bearcat defense shut down Maine, their offense continued to attack. Binghamton attempted seven shots in the period and was awarded seven corner kicks. However, Maine’s defense withstood the challenge. Junior back Noelle Leon-Palmer broke up attack after attack from BU. Even when plays slipped by Palmer, they didn’t surpass Dube-Trempe.

The Bearcats’ best chance of the night came with 19 minutes remaining in regulation off of a corner kick from junior midfielder Rebecca Raber. A scrum ensued in front of the goal, and it appeared as if the ball was heading toward the back of the net when Dube-Trempe made a last-moment save. Binghamton created another chance with six minutes remaining off an open Corcoran shot, but it went wide. With no score in regulation, the game headed to overtime.

Two minutes into the overtime period, Corcoran saw another chance to score what could be a decisive goal, but her shot was just high, hitting the crossbar. The Bearcats continued to attack throughout the remainder of the game and neither team could create a good opportunity. At the end of both 10-minute overtime periods, the score held at 0-0, giving Binghamton its first draw of the season.

Through the game, Binghamton outshot Maine, 16-4, and took seven more corner kicks.

“I thought our team did a great job on staying focused and urgent on the game, wanting to play and wanting to play fast,” McClellan said. “In the end we just didn’t get that one goal that we needed.”

The Bearcats are set to return to action Sunday when they take on UMass Lowell in their second America East match-up. Kick-off is set for 1 p.m. at the Bearcat Sports Complex.