Tycho McManus/Assistant Photo Editor Sophomore forward Logan Roberts contributed a team high two shots against Princeton on Saturday.

In the first-ever meeting between the two programs, the Binghamton and Princeton men’s soccer teams ended the first half in a scoreless stalemate. But come the second 45, the Tigers (3-2-2) dominantly outshot the Bearcats (2-7-0), 16-3, recording two goals in the process.

Princeton shut out BU, 2-0, at Roberts Stadium on Saturday afternoon, forcing Binghamton’s losing skid to extend to five. The Bearcats created some decent chances throughout the game, but failed to capitalize on those opportunities — a theme that has resonated throughout their season.

“We created enough chances,” BU head coach Paul Marco said. “[We] moved the ball quite well, but just couldn’t come up with a goal.”

Another recurring theme was the Bearcats’ defensive struggles against set pieces, as both of Princeton’s goals came off throw ins.

Neither team would get on the scoreboard until the 64th minute, at which point Princeton junior midfielder Thomas Sanner buried the ball into the back of the net. Sanner connected on a play incited by senior forward Cameron Porter’s throw in to bump up Princeton, 1-0.

The Tigers struck again just 17 minutes later, when Porter tallied a second assist in the match. This time he found junior midfielder Nico Hurtado, who beat Binghamton’s sophomore keeper Robert Moewes at the line, increasing Princeton’s lead to two.

“They had two or three special players, [Porter] and [Sanner],” Marco said of the Tigers. “[Sanner] was a handful today.”

However, the Bearcats didn’t go down without a fight. With only minutes remaining in regulation, BU pressed forward, recording two shots in the team’s final effort. With four minutes to go, sophomore forward Lee Manchio launched a shot that sailed just wide of the net. Two minutes later, sophomore midfielder Connor Nealis sent another shot directly at the goal, but Princeton’s junior keeper Ben Hummel preserved his team’s shutout.

“We need to be better with the ball and be less careless,” Marco said. “Hopefully we can adjust and get through this dip before next Saturday when we start conference play.”

On the brighter side, the Bearcats have only allowed two or more goals twice in their nine games this season. Their defense has kept games close while their offense has generally created solid opportunities, but the team as a whole has struggled to find its rhythm. On that strand, Marco finds it additionally frustrating that he has not been able to field his best team this season, due to a few players’ lingering injuries.

Though the current skid is certainly a rough patch for the team, the Bearcats still have one more opportunity to improve before their America East schedule begins. They wrap up their non-conference slate with a contest against Colonial Athletic Association-member Hofstra (3-3-2) on Tuesday and head into AE play against Hartford on the following Saturday.

“The Hofstra game will help us — a few of our conference opponents play the same style as [Hofstra],” Marco said.

Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday at the David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Complex on Long Island.