Three ninth-inning runs put No. 19 Nebraska back on top in the Stillwater Regional’s first elimination game, effectually ending the Binghamton baseball team’s season with its second loss of the NCAA Tournament.

Binghamton (25-27) didn’t make the 8-6 win easy for Nebraska. Though the Huskers (41-20) scored three runs off of four hits out of junior Greg Ostner in the first inning and tacked on a fourth in the second, Ostner settled on the mound in the succeeding innings of his second start of the season. Through the next five, he let up one run on three hits through 47 pitches. He had thrown 43 in the first two innings alone.

The Bearcats sought to replicate their losers’ bracket success from the America East Championships, beginning with a three-run surge in the fourth. Senior center fielder Bill Bereszniewicz singled for his fourth hit of the regional to lead things off before senior second baseman Daniel Nevares doubled, pushing them to second and third. Senior first baseman Shaun McGraw plated Bereszniewicz and advanced to second on a wild pitch before sophomore third baseman Reed Gamache hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Nevares. With a new arm on the mound for Nebraska, freshman designated hitter Brendan Skidmore singled, and senior shortstop John Howell followed in kind. Though McGraw was put out at home on the play, freshman left fielder Darian Herncane – a seldom-seen player, in for an injured Jake Thomas – hit a double in the next at-bat and drove in Skidmore. The RBI was just Herncane’s second of the season.

That sort of performance in clutch situations has kept a heavily depleted Binghamton team in the running this season. With junior ace Jack Rogalla unable to compete in the NCAA Tournament due to a shoulder injury aggravated through the AE Championships, four additional pitchers injured and three regular starters out even before Thomas took multiple hits to his ankle against Oklahoma State, nearly every player has had to prove his worth this season.

“The guys have been resilient all year with the situation we’ve had with some injuries,” BU head coach Tim Sinicki said. “Every guy that’s been asked, that’s been called upon, to fill a need, to fill a void, has done a great job. And that was the case today with Darian Herncane coming up.”

After a run from Nebraska in the fifth, BU surged again in the sixth. One costly error from Nebraska’s pitcher – who was a bit too eager to throw and overshot third base, allowing Gamache to score – paved the way for BU’s three unearned runs.

Binghamton bore its 6-5 lead for two innings before the game’s decisive ninth. Nebraska sent nine to the plate, and between a walk, singles and a safety squeeze, the two seed tied and advanced, ending the frame on what became an insurmountable two-run lead. In the bottom of the ninth with two outs, Nevares hit an infield single and brought the potential tying run to the plate, but a groundout sealed Binghamton’s fate and season.

Binghamton’s heartbreaking loss at least demonstrated the team’s determination and ability to bounce back: Just 13 hours prior, the Bearcats had suffered a stifling 8-0 shutout at the hands of No. 7 Oklahoma State (46-16) at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium.

The Bearcats put up more of a fight than the score suggests – through the first five innings, they stranded nine runners, seven of which were in scoring position. In the third and fifth, they loaded bases. But though they clogged their bases, they were unable to consolidate their opportunities, leaving 12 on base through the game.

Binghamton’s closest shot came in the fifth. Despite opening with two outs, Bereszniewicz and Nevares each singled before Thomas was hit by a pitch to load bases. Oklahoma State’s No. 2 pitcher was relieved after 4 2/3 innings, and McGraw – who has homered four times this season – was ready to make an impact. But Cowboys’ reliever Vince Wheeland forced the senior to bounce a slow chopper down to third, and McGraw was just beat at the bag for the third out.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, managed to plate runners in four innings, even though they only recorded two more hits through the game than the Bearcats did. Oklahoma State’s small-ball rallies, with seven of its 10 hits just singles, still pushed the team where it needed to go. Two runs in each of the third, fifth, sixth and eighth innings were more than enough for the team.

Big 12 Conference Player of the Year Zach Fish still appeared at the plate despite his sprained ankle, although the injury barred him from the outfield. As designated hitter, the junior went 2-for-3 and produced three RBIs in the game.

The outing marks the last in the green and white for Bereszniewicz, Howell, Nevares and McGraw. The seniors went out on a high note, however – Howell and Nevares turned their 69th double play of their careers against Oklahoma State, Bereszniewicz went 3-for-5 with one RBI against Nebraska and McGraw also recorded an RBI against the Huskers. But all four share a greater accomplishment: They are the first in program history to lead the team to consecutive NCAA appearances after winning the AE title.

While Binghamton now returns home, Nebraska will continue Sunday to face the loser of the winners’ match, which is set for 8 p.m. tonight. The Huskers will either once again face Cal State Fullerton, or meet host Oklahoma State for the first time in this regional.