The Binghamton track and field teams produced six individual first-place finishes at the Cornell Big Red Invitational last Sunday. The non-scoring event featured 13 teams and provided athletes the opportunity to qualify for the ECAC/IC4A Championships, held May 16-18.

The men’s team showcased its young talent with two freshmen first-place winners. Jon Alkins clocked a time of 49.44 to capture the 400 meter race while Peter Fagan took the pole vault event with a height of 16-0 3/4. Junior Jared Rousell rounded out the men’s leaders with a time of 9:46.44 in the 3,000 meter steeplechase.

On the women’s side, junior Ivory Taussig put up a time of 25.06 seconds to take the 200-meter race. On the field, sophomore Tori Shaffer took the high jump event (5-7), and freshman Keishorea Armstrong won the triple jump with a 39-7 mark.

Additionally, several of Binghamton’s top athletes competed at the Penn Relays held earlier in the weekend. Sophomore Joe Miceli finished fourth in men’s pole vault (15-11) while junior Pat Heikkila took fifth in the shot put (53-5 1/2).

Next up for the Bearcats is the America East Outdoor Championships. The two-day event will be hosted by Vermont this Saturday and Sunday, with events beginning at 10 a.m.