Tycho McManus/Staff Photographer Junior attack Tucker Nelson will carry a team-leading 42 points into Saturday’s match with Albany.

For the first time in a decade, the Binghamton men’s lacrosse team is 4-0 in the America East.

Already guaranteed a top-two seed in the conference tournament beginning May 1, there is now only one more opponent standing between the Bearcats (7-6, 4-0 AE) and a perfect America East finish.

And that opponent, Albany (8-5, 4-0 AE), just so happens to be after the same goal.

“We work all year, and it builds up to this,” Binghamton University head coach Scott Nelson said. “To jump to the next level.”

With the experience provided by a competitive non-conference schedule that featured three top-20 opponents, the Bearcats have risen in 2014 as the dark horse of the conference. Having a pair of veteran attackmen in senior Matt Springer and junior Tucker Nelson has also helped.

But the reigning champion Great Danes won’t go down easily at home with a No. 1 seed on the line.

Averaging 15.33 goals per game, the Great Danes’ offense leads all of Division I. But the Bearcats defense won’t have just one or two Albany players to target — they’ll have “The Thompson Trio.”

Albany seniors Ty and Miles and junior Lyle were largely responsible for Albany’s rise to prominence in 2013. So far this season, the three have combined for 117 of Albany’s 203 goals. As a team, Binghamton has scored only 126 goals this season.

So what are the keys to success for the Binghamton defense?

“We will have to play well off the ball,” Scott Nelson said in reference to Albany’s dangerous passing attack. “We’ll have to be smart — there will be individual challenges.”

It will also be pivotal for BU to clear the ball and keep it away from Albany’s potent offense. The Bearcats have completed 92.3 percent of their clears this season, but the Great Danes have allowed their competition to complete only 79 percent of its clears.

Binghamton’s offense will see a challenge in the crease, with Albany sophomore goalkeeper Blaze Riorden averaging 14.08 saves a game, making him one of the top-saving keepers in the nation. But with the Albany defense allowing 11.5 goals per game, Binghamton hopes to build on its April 19 14-goal output against Stony Brook.

“It will be a great opportunity, a great experience,” Nelson said. “This is what you play Division I for. They’ll go out and have fun.”

Along with deciding the regular-season champion, Saturday’s game will determine the top seed for the conference tournament next month, with the winner capturing the regular-season title.

When asked about the importance of his team carrying the No. 1 seed for its first playoff appearance in three years, Nelson noted the balance and talent throughout the tournament that makes seeds almost irrelevant. But Saturday’s contest is about more than just seeding.

“We would like to have the championship,” Nelson said.

First faceoff is set for 7 p.m. Saturday at John Fallon Field in Albany.