The Binghamton baseball team’s offense sputtered, only mustering seven runs, and its pitching faltered when it mattered most, allowing six-time SEC champion Georgia to complete a three-game sweep at Foley Field this weekend.

The Bearcats (3-7) led the Bulldogs (5-6) 3-1 in the ninth inning and were on the verge of a win, but the pitching staff allowed three walks to open the frame, opening the door for Georgia.

A base hit by junior infielder Nelson Ward scored one run, and an RBI double-play by sophomore infielder Jess Posey tied the score. BU recorded the third out to send the game into extras.

Binghamton put runners on base in both the 10th and 11th innings but couldn’t manufacture a run. Two walks to start the bottom half of the 11th set the stage for Georgia, which took the first game of the series after a walk-off RBI double.

“Well in general, I thought we competed pretty well over the course of the three games,” Binghamton head coach Tim Sinicki said. “I think the reason why we didn’t get a win in the three is because we failed to play a complete game.”

Junior ace Jack Rogalla started Friday’s matchup for the Bearcats and pitched 7.0 innings of one-run ball. He allowed five hits, struck out three batters and earned a no-decision.

“Jack’s perhaps the best competitor I’ve ever had in this program in terms of his desire to have the ball in big situations and going out and giving you his best effort every time he takes the mound,” Sinicki said.

“So it is comforting knowing you’re going to get a good effort out of him but he also has to be up to the challenge week-in, week-out, because we’re going to face another team’s number-one starter and, generally speaking, they’re going to be very similar to him.”

BU took an early lead in game two when sophomore designated hitter Reed Gamache drove in senior second baseman Daniel Nevares on an RBI single in the first inning. Junior left fielder Jake Thomas, however, was thrown out at the plate on the same play.

In the bottom of the fourth, Georgia rallied for four runs to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 5-2 lead. Sophomore right-hander Jake Cryts walked the first batter and then hit the second batter of the inning. Small-ball by the Bulldogs put them in front as a bunt single followed by an RBI groundout and two-RBI single would provide all the offense they would need.

Georgia scored three runs in both the first and second innings of Sunday’s finale and coasted the rest of the way en route to the series sweep. Freshman Casey Wenzel earned the spot start in place of injured junior right-hander Mike Urbanski after an impressive collegiate debut against James Madison. However, Wenzel and two other BU pitchers combined to allow six walks and nine runs by the Bulldogs.

Thomas drove in both of the Bearcats’ runs in the eighth inning on a one-out double to right field. Senior center fielder Bill Bereszniewicz and Nevares scored on the play.

Sinicki couldn’t comment on Urbanski’s injury or the amount of time he may miss.

Reigning America East Player of the Week Bereszniewicz produced five hits, two runs and an RBI against Georgia. He raised his batting average to .359 on the season.

“[Bereszniewicz] is one of many guys in the order that we need to stay hot and play well if we’re going to be successful as a team,” Sinicki said. “Billy’s off to a great start and because of the way he plays the game — he brings heart and he brings a dynamic to the team, which is his speed, and ability to make some things happen for us.”

During the series, Nevares batted .583 with three runs scored and Thomas hit .417 with two RBIs.

“Credit to those guys for staying on course and working hard,” Sinicki said. “When we have those three guys going it will be a big lift for our ball club.”

This weekend, the Bearcats will take on the Virginia Military Institute for a four-game series.

“Defensively, we’ve been outstanding [and] we’ve done a pretty good job of swinging the bat game-in, game-out … But I think the one component that’s missing right now is consistency within our pitching staff,” Sinicki said.

First pitch on Friday is slated for 4 p.m. at VMI’s Gray-Minor Stadium.