As if one tough loss weren’t enough for the Binghamton men’s basketball team, Tommy Dempsey said Tuesday night that Nick Madray might miss the rest of the season.

Madray, who fell in practice over the weekend and suffered an injury to his hip/lower back/groin, missed Sunday’s loss at UMass Lowell and tonight’s 58-53 nail-biter to Stony Brook.

“We got MRI results today, and they weren’t good,” Dempsey said, “so it’s looking like he could be done for the year.”

Madray, the highest-rated Binghamton freshman, averaged 10.8 points and 3.7 rebounds through 21 games before sustaining the injury. Though he had fallen into a shooting slump, Madray’s 3-point clip stands at 38 percent.

Even with a healthy Madray, the Bearcats (4-19, 1-9 America East) would have needed a miraculous run through the conference championship to reach the NCAA tournament. Instead, the most severe blow comes to Madray’s opportunity to develop as a collegiate power forward.

Madray earned the reputation of a stretch-four, a 6-foot-9 forward capable of stepping out and knocking down 3-pointers but not holding his own against stronger post players. Through 21 games, the freshman made notable progress around the rim and on the glass, but that improvement track could be cut short.