Kendall Loh/Photo Editor Senior hitter Grace Vickers, fresh off her first-ever America East Player of the Week honors, will look to guide Binghamton in two must-win matches against UMass Lowell and New Hampshire this weekend.

With only the top four teams qualifying for the America East volleyball postseason, the fifth-place Binghamton volleyball team would have to beat both last-place UMass Lowell and conference leader New Hampshire on the road this weekend to have a chance at earning a spot.

If Binghamton does manage anything like a repeat of last weekend’s pair of sweeps, its fate will still depend on UMBC, Stony Brook and Albany. Each of the three carries an 8-4 conference record into its two conference matches this weekend, and at least one needs to lose both of its contests to grant Binghamton (8-18, 6-6 AE) a shot at a berth. And even then, the decision will be made by a tiebreaker.

“We want to finish strong,” BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama said. “We are working hard preparing for both of these matches. It will be a challenging weekend. New Hampshire is playing well and Lowell, we can’t overlook.”

In their match with the River Hawks (0-24, 0-12 AE) last month, the Bearcats downed the conference’s only winless team in straight sets. UMass Lowell has actually been swept in its last seven matches and only has two more to go: Friday against Binghamton and Saturday against Albany (8-17, 8-4 AE).

The Wildcats (16-12, 10-2 AE), led by senior hitter Morgan Thatcher and sophomore outside hitter Tori Forrest, have swept each of their last five matches leading up to their Friday tilt with Albany.

Binghamton fans might take solace in the fact that the last time the teams met on Oct. 20, Albany swept visiting New Hampshire. However, this time, the Great Danes won’t have their home court advantage.

Meanwhile, the last time Binghamton played the Wildcats, at home on Oct. 18, the Bearcats dropped the match, 3-1.

“[The Wildcats] are a pretty good offensive team and a good ball control team,” Kiriyama said. “We have to cut down on our errors and then be able to serve tougher, block better or both to be successful.”

If BU wants to come out on top this weekend, reigning America East Player of the Week senior middle hitter Grace Vickers and Setter of the Week Amanda Dettmann, a junior, must continue to lead by example. The two garnered the honors after their contributions in the team’s pair of wins last weekend, when Vickers led with 4.00 kills per set on .513 hitting and Dettmann doled out 12.00 assists and 2.17 digs per set.

“[Vickers and Dettmann] work hard,” Kiriyama said. “They set the tone for the others on the team. When they play well it sets the tone for everyone else. We are hoping for a good finish from them. I’m sure they are focused for this match and ready to go.”

Binghamton’s future lies partially in its court and partially on the other side of the net. The only certainty is that if the Bearcats want to move on, they have to win. If they lose one match, their season will be over.

“Our chances aren’t great, but the chance is still there,” Kiriyama said. “We are hopeful, and we are going to try and do our part this weekend.”

First serves are set for 7 p.m. Friday at Costello Athletic Center and 1 p.m. Sunday at Lundholm Gymnasium.