No coach seeks the challenge of replacing a star, but the inherent, ever-changing nature of college basketball leaves no other option.

Stony Brook head coach Steve Pikiell is no stranger to finding a way to win without a former standout. In 2010-11, his Seawolves won 15 games a season after 2010 America East Player of the Year Muhammad El-Amin played his final collegiate game. Two seasons later, Stony Brook overcame Bryan Dougher’s graduation to win a program-best 25 games.

Tommy Brenton, who doubled as the 2013 America East Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, starred for that 25-win team. Now, he’s halfway across the world, suiting up for Link Tochigi Brex of Japan’s professional JBL Super League.

“That’s a lot to lose,” Albany head coach Will Brown said.

But Pikiell has succeeded in the past despite losing key players, and he plans on employing the same strategy he did in 2010-11 and 2012-13.

“It’s always tough to replace a Player of the Year,” Pikiell said, “but you hope you have some guys that were in the program playing behind them that are now going to get an opportunity to play.”

When Dougher graduated, Pikiell turned to then-junior guard Anthony Jackson, who rewarded his coach with 11.3 points per game and a 36.2 percent clip from 3-point range just one year after playing 12.4 minutes per game.

Pikiell hopes senior forward Eric McAlister can be this year’s Anthony Jackson. McAlister, an athletic four-man who recorded 42 dunks as a junior, averaged 4.4 points and 2.8 rebounds in 17.3 minutes per game a year ago in Brenton’s shadow.

In two preseason scrimmages, Pikiell said McAlister stood out as Stony Brook’s best player — and don’t forget the Seawolves also boast sophomore forward Jameel Warney, the America East’s preseason Player of the Year.

“[McAlister’s] playing with more confidence,” Pikiell said. “He’s bigger, he’s stronger, he’s making jump shots. And he’s now free to play. He’s not looking over his shoulder at Tommy.”

But McAlister won’t be the only Seawolf with an expanded role. As a true point forward, Brenton had the ball in his hands as much as — if not more than — Stony Brook’s senior backcourt of Jackson and Dave Coley. That duo combined for 22.4 points per game but just 3.3 assists per game, as Brenton led the team with 4.8 dimes per night.

“I think there’s pressure on Dave and A.J.,” Pikiell said. “They’re all-league caliber guards, and they need to play like all-league guards. Those guys are very important to us.”

They’ll have help in the form of Warney, a 6-foot-8 forward, who can also pass well out of the post.

“Jameel has the ball more in the post, and he’s a real good post passer,” Pikiell said. “We’re getting him involved a lot more with the offense.”

Pikiell also said Warney will be one of the conference’s most improved players, a statement that should terrify opposing coaches. Warney took the America East by storm as a freshman, a refined post player with a big body and a variety of moves. If he has improved his shooting touch as much as Pikiell claims, Warney could be primed for one of the conference’s most memorable sophomore seasons.

“He’s gained 10 pounds of good weight,” Pikiell said. “He had a great summer, so I’m very excited about his development.”

In emails to Pipe Dream, opposing America East coaches have also mentioned sophomore guard Carson Puriefoy as a potential breakout candidate. As a freshman, Puriefoy shot 36.1 percent from 3-point range and averaged 5.3 points in 14.8 minutes per game.

Pikiell said he will play three guards at times this season, so Puriefoy could serve a key role for the Seawolves.

“He’s the fastest guy in the program,” Pikiell said. “He’s gotten stronger. His perimeter game has improved. He’s shooting the ball better now. He’s going to play a lot of minutes. There’s no doubt he’s talented, and I’m excited about the kind of year he could have.”

Despite the challenge of replacing Brenton, America East coaches ranked Stony Brook No. 2 in the preseason poll. Pikiell and his program have earned that respect, as winners of three of the last four regular season titles.

There’s a decent chance, however, that Stony Brook’s non-conference record will superficially invalidate the coaches’ pick. The Seawolves will face a loaded schedule in the weeks leading up to America East play. Games against No. 14 VCU and 2013 Sweet 16 teams Indiana and La Salle highlight the challenging slate.

“That’s who we have to play now,” Pikiell said. “You want to build confidence, you want to get your rotation set and you want to get ready for league play.”

It won’t be easy. Neither will replacing Brenton.

But Pikiell has been here before, and he’s accepting the challenge with open arms.