With the in-season signing period about two months away, Binghamton head coach Tommy Dempsey received his third verbal commitment from the class of 2014.

Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop tweeted on Thursday evening that John Schurman of Fayetteville-Manlius High School (Manlius, N.Y.) had given his verbal to Dempsey and the Binghamton men’s basketball team, joining Bobby Ahearn and Justin McFadden in next year’s class.

Schurman, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard and two-time All-CNY selection, drew interest from several Patriot League schools, but he ultimately chose Binghamton over Cornell of the Ivy League.

“Both are fantastic schools, both really presented a great education, but in the end I saw myself fitting in with the student body at Binghamton,” Schurman said. “I like the coaches. They were upfront and obviously recruited me very hard. In the end it was really just splitting hairs, and I thought I was going to thrive at Binghamton on the basketball court and in the classroom.”

As a high school junior, Schurman led Fayetteville-Manlius with 20.5 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. He also made 61 3-pointers while shooting better than 40 percent from beyond the arc.

Fayetteville-Manlius head coach Tom Blackford said Schurman is a productive, efficient scorer.

“The coaches will look at each other — he’s had some 30-plus games — and we’ll go how the heck did he get 30-plus points if he only shot 14, 15 times,” Blackford said. “The reason is because he’s a very accurate 3-point shooter.”

That shooting ability, by all accounts, made Schurman stand out on the recruiting circuit. The two guard is on pace to eclipse the 200 mark for career 3-pointers this season, and he has range out to 25 feet, according to Blackford.

“I think the coaches were definitely recruiting me as a shooter, someone who can help stretch the floor,” Schurman said. “I’ve had a relatively successful high school career, scoring in multiple ways, and I think I can present that to Binghamton.”

With his size, Schurman could potentially log minutes at small forward as well. Blackford said he occasionally uses his 1,089-point scorer at the three, but sees him as a shooting guard in the America East.

Upstate Scout, which has kept tabs on Schurman throughout his high school career, said the senior made a good decision in a direct message on Twitter.

“[The America East is a] perfect fit,” Upstate Scout said. “That is the league we projected he would end up in! Great size and skill on the wing. Jump shot at 6-foot-5 will be the difference.”

Blackford also praised Schurman’s work ethic and competitive edge, and the player said he’s of the team-first breed.

“Next year, whenever the coaches decide to put me in, I’m going to be happy with that role and will take it on to the best of my abilities,” Schurman said. “I have no say over it. All I can do is my best, give my all.”

The Bearcats, whose 2013-14 roster features three seniors, still plan to fill one more scholarship for 2014, according to a source.

Dempsey and the Binghamton coaching staff could not comment on the commitment because of NCAA regulations.