Sophomore forward Sherae Swinson pulled down a career-high 11 rebounds and was a point shy of a double-double in the Bearcats’ loss to Boston University.

The Binghamton women’s basketball team couldn’t keep up with Boston’s high-scoring offense this Saturday as the Bearcats fell to the Terriers, 73-51, at the Events Center. The Terriers had five players score in double-digits, a feat they last accomplished in the 2010-11 season.

“[We] knew coming in that, especially since how well we played [at Boston], that [the Terriers] were going to come in and really try and take it to us, and in that first half they really created a lot of separation and it was just too much to come back from,” Binghamton head coach Nicole Scholl said.

An early fast pace led to a lot of missed shots on both sides. With 11:12 left in the first half, the Bearcats (4-20, 3-8 AE) had only converted two baskets, both of which were layups, while the Terriers (20-4, 10-1 AE) had accumulated 10 points. Binghamton would pull to within four when senior forward Simone Thomas converted a layup with 7:55 to go in the opening half.

But the Terriers then began to double-team the Binghamton forwards, creating more difficulty for the Bearcats. Over the ensuing 4:55, Boston went on a 15-0 run to carry a 36-20 advantage into halftime.

The Bearcats’ attitude changed in the second half, according to Scholl, who said the team went in feeling they “had nothing to lose.”

“They were more confident in taking shots,” she said. “It’s all about confidence.”

Binghamton would get within 13 points of the Terriers after a 3-pointer by freshman guard Kandace Newry with 5:17 to go. But the Bearcats’ comeback was quickly halted, as they failed to hit another shot from the field.

Sophomore forward Sherae Swinson, who scored a team-high 18 points against Boston on Jan. 12, led the team again, just missing a double-double with nine points, 11 rebounds and two blocks. Swinson said that the game was “a great experience for all of them, especially the freshmen, getting out there and experiencing the type of pressure that Boston [brings].”

The loss kept Binghamton locked in eighth place in the conference standings, but Stony Brook and UMBC stand just one game ahead of the Bearcats in a sixth place tie. New Hampshire and Vermont, at 4-6, are just 1.5 games ahead in a fourth place tie.

“We need to win some games right now, to keep in the mix for the seeding,” Scholl said. “We have some games coming up for us that are winnable, but our focus now is Stony Brook.”

The Bearcats are set to face the Seawolves on Wednesday night. Stony Brook is coming off consecutive losses to Hartford and Boston. When Binghamton last met the Seawolves on Jan. 9, Stony Brook put up a 56-34 home-court win.

Tipoff for Wednesday’s game is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Events Center.