Let us know how we're doing! Take Pipe Dream's Readership Survey

Women’s tennis picks up first wins of 2013

With three matches at West Point this weekend, the Binghamton women’s tennis team overcame a 6-1 Friday loss to host Army to beat Sacred Heart and Seton Hall on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. The Bearcats (2-3) beat the Pioneers, 4-3, and the Pirates, 5-2, to earn their first wins of the spring season.

Freshman Sara Kohtz picked up the lone point for Binghamton in its opener against the Black Knights (3-0), topping Army junior Jamila Paul, 3-6,6-3,4-3(7-4). Freshman Agatha Ambrozy and sophomore Katherine Medianik recorded the only other Bearcat victory of the day, an 8-5 win in doubles play.

Binghamton recovered quickly from the loss to Army with a tight win against Sacred Heart (0-3) the following day. BU swept doubles play, as Ambrozy and Medianik posted another win from the top doubles spot.

Sacred Heart opened singles play with a victory, but Kohtz and BU sophomore Missy Edelblum responded with back-to-back victories to put Binghamton back in the lead. When the Pioneers answered with two more wins of their own to tie, Ambrozy handed Binghamton the win with a 7-5 victory.

On Sunday, the Bearcats impressed again in doubles play, this time taking two of three against Seton Hall (0-2). After freshmen Shea Brodsky and Alexis Tashiro picked up the first win, Kohtz and Edelblum locked up the point with an 8-4 victory.

Binghamton went on to take four of its six singles matches en route to the victory. Kohtz picked up another win in singles, securing a 3-0 slate for the weekend.

The Bearcats are set for their first home match of the year on Saturday against Farleigh Dickinson. Play is scheduled to start at 5 p.m.