Nia Pellone/Staff Photographer

When break comes along and it’s time to get the hell out of here, the space between campus and home can seem endless. Route 17 goes on and on, and sometimes a quick pit stop is essential for staying sane. If you’re in need of a break on the way home or back, try one of these classic spots.

Liberty Diner

The Liberty Diner, located on 30 Sullivan Ave. in Liberty, N.Y., is the epitome of a small-town diner. Liberty is almost halfway between Long Island and Binghamton. It’s a perfect stop when your trip back starts to seem unbearable and you’re dying for a quick break.

The menu is that of your typical diner, with delicious omelets and other delectable breakfast options, as well as an array of gyros, burgers, sandwiches and salads that make the drive much more pleasant. There are dinner specials every night that are perfect for a college budget.

Bridget Egan, an undeclared junior, loves the Liberty Diner environment.

“It has a warm, cozy, almost old-fashioned atmosphere,” Egan said. “I’ve stopped there a few times for breakfast and every time, the same regulars are there.”

Egan recommends getting an egg sandwich with a side of home fries and a coffee for just $5. Now that’s some bang for your buck.

Roscoe Diner

Known for being the hottest spot to and from school, Roscoe Diner has become a legend among New Yorkers mainly because it’s one of the only diners right off Route 17. The walls are covered in banners and signs from colleges and universities all over the country, all of which were given to the diner by students who ate there. The employees are always outgoing, and the service is great.

Roscoe has typical diner foods such as eggs, waffles, specialty sandwiches, specialty burgers, Italian food, seafood and its “famous” French toast. But who gets seafood at a diner, right?

Scott Friedman, a junior majoring in computer engineering, loves the food and atmosphere at Roscoe Diner.

“I like stopping at the ‘World Famous’ Roscoe Diner because, after driving for about three hours, it’s a relaxing break from traveling on the highway with only about an hour left until campus,” Friedman said. “Plus, you can get a Roscoe Diner bumper sticker.”

Friedman recommends the Bison Burger, although he plans on trying the 1.5 inch-thick French toast the next time he goes there. Roscoe Diner is located at 1908 Old Route 17 in Roscoe, N.Y., so check it out if you’re hungry on the way home.

Buffalo Zach’s Café

Located at 64 Stewart Ave., just a block or two further down from Roscoe Diner, is Buffalo Zach’s Café. Zach’s is more of a secret spot, especially since Roscoe is the more popular tourist pit stop in the area. However, with its red awning and 25-foot totem pole out front, it’s hard to miss.

Zach’s has a very unique style, with its well-decorated rooms and wood seating. The walls are covered with tree bark and the light panels on the ceiling have watercolor portraits of Native Americans. Trophies from taxidermists and various Native American decorations line the walls. It’s a sight to behold.

Erica Ozolins, a sophomore majoring in management, loves what the menu at Zach’s has to offer.

“They offer a wide variety of food, but have an emphasis on barbecue,” Ozolins said. “It’s a great place to stop for students because it’s inexpensive and quick.”

Some of Zach’s classics include the Buffalo Zach Dog, a foot-long hot dog smothered in cheddar cheese and topped with homemade battered onion rings and homemade barbecue sauce, and Buffalo Zach’s Burger, Angus beef smothered in homemade barbecue sauce, cheddar cheese and topped with an onion ring.

For vegetarians, Zach’s Baby Spinach Salad is popular. It has fresh baby spinach with sliced red onions and chunky mushrooms, toasted almonds, a hard-boiled egg and your choice of dressing (it’s usually topped with hot bacon vinaigrette with crispy bacon).

If you have room for dessert, the café’s staff highly recommends the fruit cooler, a homemade chilled soup of fresh fruit and cream.

These are just some of the awesome options for Binghamton University students to explore, wherever the road may take them.