Hoots and hollers echoed through the halls of the Fine Arts building this past Friday night for a performance by comedian, Kaytlin Bailey. Hosted by Binghamton University’s Stand Up Comedy Club, she gave her audience a hysterical performance, touching on the subjects of dating, parents and what it means to be an adult.

Bailey began with an anecdote about her awful, possibly emotionally scarring soul cycling experience, which inevitably ended in vomit and tears. She then segued on to the topic of dating, which she described as two people trying to do their best impressions of a well-adjusted person.

“I date for food because I’m scrappy,” Bailey says.

She then spoke about the unique marriage between her ex-hippie-liberal mother and ex-military father, who “feels as uncomfortable with homosexuality as he does with vegetarianism.”

Bailey, 29, began her comedy career in 2011, when she “went through a break-up with idealism.” After graduating from the College of Charleston with degrees in history and theatre, Bailey began running field campaigns for a progressive political consulting firm. It was during that time when she began to lose faith in the political institution that she had dedicated so much of her life to. Without hesitation, Bailey packed up all of her belongings and moved to New York City, aspiring to be the next big thing in comedy.

Since then, Bailey has certainly given the scene something to talk about. She has produced several shows including “The Naked Comedy Show” in Brooklyn, NY, where comedians perform entirely nude. Bailey brought the show to a new level of extreme by giving audience members the option to disrobe as well. She believes this added component creates a more united atmosphere amongst audience members and performers, making for a more welcoming environment and enjoyable show.

Bailey also works with Alison Klemp, fellow comedian, to produce monthly performances of a show called, “I’m Fine Probably” at the New York City Comedy Club. She is currently preparing to launch her one-woman-show, “Cuntagious”, which she describes as “a love letter to my dad.” The piece reveals Bailey’s experience as a high-end teenage escort, and how she believes that experience helped to shape her independence.

Bailey decided to pursue a career as a comedian after having “discovered comedy as an elixir of truth – a way to intellectually experiment with a lot of different things.” Comedy provided a safe outlet for her to speak openly about her own internal struggles, and to “look at the world from different perspectives,” while having a good laugh.

Bailey left the Stand Up Comedy Club with a bit of sage advice before going home to New York: “Don’t let the idea of what you should be doing get in the way of what you are doing.”