The spirit of Caribbean culture was encapsulated in the Caribbean Student Association’s (CSA) Saturday show, The E.N.D (Energy Never Dies): Karnival Reloaded. The event was the culmination of the CSA’s weeklong cultural celebration and was a full sensory experience.

Hundreds of students — not only from Binghamton, but also from other SUNY’s such as Buffalo, Albany, Oswego and Oneonta — came out to enjoy the show, filling almost all of the chairs in the Mandela Room.

The opening scene featured a Mas show, which involved student models adorned in two-piece, jewel encrusted outfits and matching feather head pieces. Each girl danced her way down the runway, representing a different Caribbean island.

For Kelsey Bubbs, a freshman majoring in biology, being a part of the Mas show helped her adjust to a new environment.

“This is actually my first event that I joined,” Bubbs said. “It was such an uplifting event and it made me feel so comfortable and welcome to Binghamton.”

The CSA has been on Binghamton’s campus since 1977, and will host its 36th annual Culture Night in February.

In addition to Carnival, the CSA hosts annual events such as a poetry slam, Jerk fest and a pool party. They also work with other cultural groups on campus like the Black Student Union and the Asian Student Union.

Another huge part of Wednesday’s show was the “Spirit of the Caribbean” scene, which featured students in minimal clothing covered in head to toe body paint, allowing their bodies to become a canvas.

“Body painting is an art like no other,” said Nana Ama Atuah, one of the evening’s co-hostesses and a senior majoring in math. “The canvas is your body. That means with all of the curves and everything- they make it work.”

From brightly colored floral patterns, to flags and animal representation such as zebras and giraffes, the body paintings drew overwhelming energy from the crowd. The audience roared with excitement, some forced to stand on their chairs to see over the dancing crowd.

There were also performances by Binghamton’s X-Factor step team, the Quimbamba Latin Dance Team, the Masti South Asian Dance team, the Uyai Nnua African Dance team and the University at Buffalo’s Step Troupe.

Island Fever Cuisine, a restaurant located at 4 West State Street in Binghamton was also present, and sold Caribbean foods such as Curry Chicken and Oxtail. Jamaican born and raised, Barnes felt that the night was a success.

“From the facial jewels, to the makeup, to the Mas costume, to the body painting, to the dancing, the music, the food… the whole atmosphere was very Caribbean,” Barnes said. “I feel like we touched on a little bit of everything.”

According to audience member Crystal Diaz, an undeclared freshman, all of the stress Barnes went through was well worth it.

“Being Caribbean, I feel like I’m back home with the Carnival theme,” she said. “I really enjoyed my time.”