Elizabeth Manning/Editorial Illustrator

Thanksgiving marks a day of selflessness. It encourages us to reflect on the past year and all we have to be grateful for. Most importantly, it serves as a reminder of the mere four weeks we have left to gather all of our holiday gifts for the ones we love.

For a college student, holiday gift shopping can be extremely daunting. To take some of the stress off of the holiday gift-giving this year, we’ve compiled a list of cheap, easy, DIY projects you can make at home this Thanksgiving. These gifts are sure to be a hit with all of your friends and family, without burning a hole through your wallet.

1. Mason Jar Cocktail

This gift is perfect for any of your friends looking to land themselves a spot on the naughty list this year. To create ready-to-make spiked hot chocolate, fill a mason jar halfway with hot chocolate mix, and top it off with a generous handful of mini marshmallows. Use some colorful ribbon to tie a mini bottle of Bailey’s around the lid to add in later, and you’ve got yourself a cocktail in a jar — just don’t forget to add the milk.

2. Holiday Recipe Book

Compile a notebook of some of your favorite family recipes, from grandma’s famous sugar cookies to dad’s cheesy mashed potatoes. Add in some anecdotes about holidays past, or maybe some sketches if you’re artistic enough. This is a great gift for a parent; they always love anything homemade, and it will show that you’re knowledgeable about your family history.

3. Handwarmers

DIY handwarmers are actually really easy to make. Cut out two squares of fabric, small enough to fit into the palm of your hand. Sew three sides of the squares together to create a pocket. Fill the pocket with rice and carefully sew shut. To use, warm up in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Customize by sewing or painting on initials, and you have a perfect gift for cold Binghamton winters.

4. Candle in a Cup

Not only does this project make a great gift, it’s also a great way to make use half-burned candle stumps that you never finished burning. Melt old candles in a nested pan, then pour into a teacup while holding the wick in place. Let sit overnight. Pro Tip: You can make a wick by folding a piece of string over itself several times, twisting it and dipping it in melted wax. To hold it in place, tie the wick around a pencil or chopstick, and lay over the rim of the teacup, positioning the knot over its center.

5. Custom Drinking Glasses

Use a bottle made of thick glass, such as a Corona bottle. Tie a string around the empty bottle — just above its label — to get the right size. Remove the string without untying it and dip in lighter fluid. Put the string back on the bottle, and while holding bottle horizontally, light the string, allowing the flame to spread. After you hear a crack, run cold water on the string until the top of the bottle falls off. Lastly, run sandpaper over the rough edges of the bottle for a smooth finish.