Image Provided by The Associated Press

It’s been a long year for the One Direction boys. Since the release of their album “Four” last November, they’ve had to deal with the departure of member Zayn Malik back in March as well as a growing need to step away from the nearly blinding spotlight and constant touring cycles. In fact, the group announced in August that they are taking a hiatus after finishing their current world tour. If “Made in the A.M.” is indeed 1D’s musical finale, the album does more than deliver.

One Direction initially teased at a new album this summer with the release of four singles, with the first being “Drag Me Down” on July 31. It was their first single without Zayn, but the group came out full force with a great baseline and powerful vocals; it almost made you forget there ever was a fifth member.

Their second single, “Infinity,” is a track with soft instrumentals that lift gradually, before shooting straight into a vocally charged chorus. Their third single, “Perfect,” debuted in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, breaking the record previously held by The Beatles for most tracks debuting in the top 10.

The final single released was titled “What a Feeling” and dropped two days prior to the album. This song’s instrumentals, which had more of an indie vibe, definitely stole the show. With lyrical themes that make you feel like you’re listening to one of their earlier songs, the song was a good selection for a fourth single. Yet even with the familiar feel, the track is infused with a newer, edgier, rock-influenced sound that they’ve been working towards.

Upon the full 17-track release, it was still unclear if One Direction could deliver another album of hits, but a first listen proved that “Made in the A.M.” presented the world with another LP of boy-band anthems.

The album opens with “Hey Angel,” a song that is basically The Verve’s “Bitter Sweet Symphony” if it has been written by a boy band. Like the opener, many of the songs on the album are reminiscent of other artists. “Temporary Fix” — which is Niall’s shining moment of the album — opens with a beat that is almost interchangeable with Neon Trees’ “Everybody Talks.”

“History,” a track nestled toward the end of the album, is a catchy, acoustic guitar-backed track with lyrics that seem suspiciously related to the departure of Malik. The boys sing, “You and me got a whole lot of history. So don’t let it go, we can make some more, we can live forever,” which mirrors the sentiment many Directioners felt back in March.

Many songs shined as amped-up, fun pieces, like “Never Enough” — which starts out with the boys grunting — and “End of The Day,” which makes use of memorable drum parts and repetitive, catchy lyrics. Despite this, the band definitely found a place for their more emotional side. “If I Could Fly” speaks of defenselessness, loneliness and losing oneself when away from that special someone, and the orchestral accompaniment really solidifies that this is not one of their usual party tunes. Another emotional track, “Walking in the Wind,” is more upbeat and guitar-oriented, yet nonetheless is about separation from a loved one and how it can affect lives.

As a potential farewell album, “Made in the A.M.” is a cohesive, feel-good effort. For those who haven’t yet given it a listen, be prepared for more edge and emotion, but the same lovable crooning you’ve always adored.