Photo Provided by Funk Is So Phat Records

Syracuse-based musician Jack Brown never thought that becoming the lead singer of a band would lead to meeting Food Network star Guy Fieri. But, much like the unique sound of his band Sophistafunk, things can come together in an unexpected way.

The band is composed of three core members: Adam Gold, Emanuel Washington and Brown, the group’s front man and MC. Yet, between the three, their talents are varied and impressive. Gold is a keyboardist, but according to Brown, he also plays a “synth bass with his left hand while also singing and beatboxing.” Washington plays drums but takes his hand at singing lead for some songs.

The band’s sound is a mix of beatboxing, rap and jazz, with influences from hip-hop and electronic beats, classic Motown, neo-soul and dub reggae. Brown remains adamant about being open-minded to all styles and avoiding limiting their sound to one genre of music.

“Our music is fun and danceable; it makes you nod your head and shake what your momma gave you,” Brown said. “That’s the funk. But it’s also cool and insightful, with lyrics that activate your mind, heart and soul. Sophistafunk represents the balance of those forces.”

Brown recorded a song with the Amsterdam-based rap group THC that became popular at Syracuse University — where he attended school — which is how his career got started. Gold and Brown met in Syracuse at Gold’s restaurant Funk ‘n Waffles. Soon after, they met Washington. When Funk ‘n Waffles was featured on Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” Sophistafunk got a chance to appear on television and become friends with Guy Fieri.

Sophistafunk tours year-round, and recently wrapped up a run through through Missouri and Oklahoma. They are in the midst of recording their fourth album, and will be going on a national tour in January.

“Some of my favorite places [to tour] are Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Vermont and of course New York,” Brown said. “We’ve toured the UK twice and even played the Shambala & Boom Town Festivals in England — which have 50,000-plus attendees.”

And while the band does many shows, each set is special and tailored to the crowd. They often feature guest musicians, including saxophonists, guitarists, trumpeters and live DJs, to create a unique sound for every performance.

“A good setlist should tell a story, build energy and flow properly,” Brown said. “Usually the second sets turn up the intensity. By this point in the night the dance floor is alive so it’s up to us to match that energy.“

Although Brown enjoys the personal experience people get when listening to Sophistafunk’s albums, he believes that it is on stage where the band really shines.

“I think you can feel our raw passion and energy more in a live setting,” Brown said. “You can see the musicianship, hear the powerful sound and feel the spirit.”