The 90-minute premiere of “American Horror Story: Hotel” aired this Wednesday, serving a healthy mix of blood, suffering and Matt Bomer’s butt.

Writers Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk have been dropping hints about the new season for months, pulling in icons like Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer as main characters. Continuing as an anthology, the show has returning actors Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett, Lily Rabe and Emma Roberts in a completely new setting and plot.

The show revolves around the elegant Hotel Cortez, which is run by The Countess Elizabeth (Gaga). Throughout the episode, you meet a variety of neurotic residents, ranging from crazy meth addicts to brutal rapists. Pursuing a sequence of gruesome murders, detective John Lowe (Wes Bentley) eventually checks into the hotel, and based on the show’s track record, he’ll probably never check out.

The strengths of past seasons are ever-present in “Hotel” — the writers manage to effortlessly intertwine numerous complex plotlines between characters, including a deep-seated feud between Sally (Paulson), Iris (Bates) and Elizabeth’s collection of stolen children.

While other AHS premieres were plagued with a lack of plot development, this season’s plot already has some momentum. Many of the characters already have backgrounds and motives, and a new hotel owner is already framed as the central problem. Previous AHS premieres laid out the setting without much substance.

Though AHS has never been known for its censorship, this season seems to show more skin than ever. Packed into the first episode were a horrific rape scene, a bloody foursome — where you get the first glimpse of Gaga’s and Bomer’s characters — and numerous naked murder victims. Sexual tensions are high in this hotel, and the erotic scenes are pushing the limits of the show’s already racy reputation.

Murphy has mentioned that this season will have a dark theme reminiscent of “Asylum,” which may result in mixed reactions from viewers who were looking forward to something more horrific. The creepy atmosphere of the hotel is well-portrayed, but the premiere doesn’t have the characteristics of traditional horror.

Gaga’s much-anticipated performance is only average. She looks the part of The Countess, but her delivery is flat and unemotional at times. Whether this is the indication of a soulless character or her lack of acting experience is up for debate. But as expected, the acting of the seasoned cast members is on par with past cycles, with standout performances by Paulson as the druggy meth head Hypodermic Sally and Bates as the ruthless hotel manager. Bentley’s character, Detective Lowe, is also well portrayed, but the character has yet to have his shining moment.

This season, unlike the others, is supposed to pull together some of the other show cycles. There was an appearance from the real estate agent from the show’s first season, played by Christine Estabrook, which may be foreshadowing the return of other past characters. This could add a refreshing dimension to the show’s overarching concept.

It looks like the premiere has set up yet another successful season for the Emmy-winning television series. Check out — or check in — to “Hotel” if you are looking for a sex-driven bloodbath.

Episodes air every Wednesday at 10 p.m. on FX.