Elizabeth Manning/Editorial Illustrator

If you’re not thinking about skipping breakfast or lunch, you might not even realize that you missed a meal in the first place. If, however, it’s the only thing you can focus on for 24 hours, it pretty much consumes your entire being. Welcome to Yom Kippur. For those who do not celebrate, please, enjoy your day off for those of us who won’t. For those prepping for the big day, try to enjoy your last bites of food and sips of water on Tuesday night, and try not to think too hard about the 23 hours and 59 minutes ahead of you. Whether you are fasting for the first time, or are working on year number 9-ish — let’s not count freshman year when you went out — Release is here to help you make it through.

1) Wake up late — Unless you’re trying to make it to synagogue on time, wake up as late as you can. The later you wake up, the quicker you get to break your fast. Sure, the day is 24 hours, but if it starts at seven, and you go to sleep at 11, and then you sleep for 10 hours, you’ve only got around 10 hours left when you wake up. Besides, you definitely don’t get enough sleep to begin with. This is your day. You deserve this.

2) Plan ahead for the work you’ll have — You know you’re not supposed to actually work on Yom Kippur, so plan for the days ahead. It’s your time to start over: to start fresh. So, after you’re done repenting for the sin of going out every day of syllabus week — and every day for the two weeks after syllabus week — forgive yourself. And then make a plan to catch up. If you are planning on getting work done before the fast, then for the love of lox and bagels, actually get things done.

3) Distract yourself — This may seem impossible, but finding something to take your mind off of your grumbling stomach is critical to making it through. Whether it’s reading your favorite series of books, chatting with friends or just taking a six-hour nap, the more time you can kill, the better. If you live Downtown, try going for a walk through Recreation Park; if you live on campus, go explore the Nature Preserve. It’s the perfect opportunity during the last few weeks of acceptable weather.

4) Do not look at the kiddush table — really, don’t do it. Yes, there will be a point where the food will be out and, in the words of M.C. Hammer, “U Can’t Touch This.” Just don’t look at it. Look at your friends. Look at your hands. Or, as your parents once put it, “you can try looking at the book.” Only 20 more minutes. You can do this.

5) When you break fast, don’t over-do it — After 24 hours without any food, it’s easy to go overboard at sunset. When you’re loading up your bagel with a kilo of egg salad, think back to last year when you felt sick after speed-eating that plate of lox your friend brought over. We know the feeling. You don’t even think you’re still hungry, but you can’t stop pounding back jelly-filled cookies. Stop now, or your stomach will regret it.