Whether you’re an only child who has never had to share, or have literally lived with someone since the womb, meeting your first college roommate can be an exciting and terrifying task. Even if you’ve hand-picked your “perfect match” on Facebook, there’s no telling who someone will be behind a closed dorm room door. Don’t worry though, there is plenty of gray area in between finding your college day-one and sharing a room with a psycho.

For those who have always lived alone, you’ll find that having a roommate has the potential for a lot of perks. If you’re really lucky, having a roommate will mean the size of your closet will double thanks to the wonderful “what’s mine is yours” rule. But be wary. First, obviously make sure that they are DTSS (down to share stuff). And if they are, know that there is a difference between borrowing a scarf and keeping their pants for three months. Recognize when it’s time to give your roommate (and their stuff) some space.

You might move in on the first day to find someone already organizing their outfits for the week. Having a roommate who is a neat freak or perfectionist can be a dream come true or your worst nightmare. On the plus side, you’ll never be worried about bringing someone back to a messy place because chances are that they’ll even try to straighten up your side of the room too. Of course, if you’re not into someone moving your things to dust or passive-aggressively mentioning the dish you haven’t washed, it’s important to set boundaries to make sure your relationship doesn’t get messy. On the flip side, maybe you’ll be the neat freak roommate. Just remember to be patient with those who do not hold themselves to the same standards.

On the topic of messy relationships, it’s important to make sure that you’re aware of how much time you’ll be spending together. You’re going to be around your roommate a lot, so even if you are friends, make sure you are meeting new people and branching out. While it may be great to have things in common, doing everything together will result in getting sick of each other. Meet other people; your roommate will always be there when you get home. Another situation you might encounter is “the homebody.” If you end up with a roommate who never leaves the room, things can get awkward. Don’t be afraid to speak up if you need some alone time or maybe want to get down with a new friend. Sexiling (or just kicking your roommate out) isn’t cool on the regular, but neither is hogging the room.

Perhaps you do random roommate selection, only to eventually Facebook stalk them and be blinded by their beauty. Don’t let this get you down. Sure, there might be suitors lining up at your door to talk to them, but use it as an opportunity to make new friends. Being the less-hot roommate is not as upsetting as it sounds. Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you can get lucky with the right attitude. If you know you’re the hotter roommate, don’t ever let on that you know. Keep that to yourself.

Remember of course, that no matter how many horror stories you hear, your roommate might end up being completely awesome, and you’ll live with them for the rest of your college experience. You literally have a built-in friend in your home, and it doesn’t get much better than that. Even if you don’t click instantly, remember that the best bonds are built over time. Just keep an open mind to whomever you are living with, and you probably won’t end up as the star of your own college-themed horror movie.