Neil Seejoor/Contributing Photographer

High school isn’t the only place for a brain, a beauty, a jock, a rebel and a recluse. In the Dickinson Community Players’ (DCP) adaptation of John Hughes’s cult classic “The Breakfast Club,” they can come to college, too.

For the show, DCP transformed the iconic film into an intimate play and the C4 Multipurpose Room into the very familiar Shermer library. The play follows the stories of the five troubled high school students in-depth, not failing to mirror the relationships and layered character development evident in the film.

Stage manager Maddy Lipson wanted the scenes onstage to resemble the movie almost exactly and, along with director Rachel Wasserman, succeeded in recreating both the set and notable character dynamics.

“There are things that were so iconic in the movie that we had to put in,” said Lipson, a sophomore majoring in linguistics. “Of course, there were some other parts that we didn’t think were necessary to remake.”

Wasserman was careful to choose which lines to include and which to omit, and her precision proved to be beneficial. Each line was recited powerfully, creating a spirited performance that wouldn’t be expected on a small stage in C4.

The cast members have great chemistry and naturally bounced lines back and forth. They effortlessly move along the stage and around throughout the room, bringing the audience into their world of Saturday morning detention.

Josiah Rawlings, a freshman majoring in industrial engineering who plays Bender, encompasses the dark pain Judd Nelson emitted in the movie, touching the audience with compassion and pity for the misunderstood teen. Harrison Rothbaum, a junior majoring in philosophy, politics and law, does a great job fulfilling the role of Andy as he timidly talks about his father and protects Claire proudly and confidently. The actors took time to get in touch with their characters and often stepped into their shoes outside of rehearsals, hoping to create even more convincing portrayals.

Those in the play agreed that the small cast was a plus, and after two and a half months of practice, they consider themselves a family. Their closeness is apparent on stage, and makes for a more comfortable and believable vibe.

“This is a fun show. It’s simple, but the complexity of the ideas makes things more interesting,” Rawlings said. “The dynamics come very naturally if you’re honest about who you are as a character.”

DCP’s “The Breakfast Club” brings a cult-classic to Binghamton University, and anyone wanting to relive his or her favorite high school movie should see the play.

Showings are April 30, May 1 and May 3 at 8 p.m. in the C4 Multipurpose Room. Tickets are $3.00.